Author Topic: A Ramble About Computers...  (Read 19452 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: A Ramble About Computers...
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2016, 03:24:37 »
X99 is sill quite an interesting option. I chose parallel execution performace over single thread performace. 2 x 4 memory channels are really nice.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 05:57:49 »
X99 is the current high end platform.  It excels when high memory bandwidth is necessary.  The drawback is the CPU's for this board are based on Haswell and not the latest Skylake.  As for single thread vs multi, an I-5 still has 4 cores and 4 threads.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 10:25:33 »
Yes. The Skylakes with 4 channel memory are up in late summer.

That is why I got a 2011setup.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2016, 03:52:53 »
Yes. The Skylakes with 4 channel memory are up in late summer.

That is why I got a 2011setup.

The new Skylake chips with 8 or more cores and HT will be hot stuff.  Meanwhile I took back the 32 gigs and am back to the ddr 3000 16 gig chips.  Some tests showed me the extra memory did not do that much on the size panos I do, and the 32 gig  sticks had some serious compatibility issues that limited their performance.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2016, 06:36:48 »
I built a Win10 machine based on H170 chipset and Skylake Core i5 6500T a couple of months ago.  When I tried to stitch eleven 24MP NEFs using Photomerge in CC2015, the 16GB ram was almost fully used.  I thought more ram would be used if my machine had 32GB.

The initial specification of the barebone case I used indicated that it can recognize the RAM up to 16GB, which turned out to be wrong.  It actually recognizes up to 32GB.  I regretted having installed only 16GB, but, apparently 16GB is enough according to the info shared here.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2016, 10:08:50 »
Photoshop's stitching algorithms seem to be far less efficient than panorama tools'. A few days ago I stitched 47 24mp 16bit tifs without a problem on my 8gb MacBook pro while having about 10 other applications running. I didn't time it, but it was so fast that I couldn't even develop another picture before the stitch was done and exported to .psb. The program really took off wrt. speed since they introduced GPU acceleration.

The same panorama, but with resized 1024px wide jpegs took Photoshop CS6 so long that I aborted it, I would have been curious how well it would be stitched given tha vast amount of OOF areas. Maybe the CC version is better.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2016, 22:18:16 »
What I noticed was Widows would start swapping when it ran out of memory on a stitch.  It was slower, but not dramatically slower.  There are probably better ways to stitch very large panos than Ps.  The nice part about Ps is it is easy as you don't have to make tiff's first.  I need to look at some alternative for my MBP as with only 8 gigs of memory it is seriously slow.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2016, 22:51:21 »
The key to a stable windows system is enough memory.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2016, 23:54:44 »
What I noticed was Widows would start swapping when it ran out of memory on a stitch. 
Whenever an OS (Windows, Linux, OSX) runs out of main memory because of application software's requirements  and need to start swapping, the 10.000x slower access speed of SSD vs. main memory will start to be noticeable. Depending on the % of needed swap and the memory architecture of the application software, all is possible. A bit slower on the good end and a seemingly stand still at the other end. Without access to the source code of the application, the easiest and cheapest fix is to add main memory.

If you are interested in this wonderful world of memory for software, this paper is highly recommend. :)
What every programmer should know about memory or here the 114-page PDF

rgds, Andy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2016, 23:59:11 »
Andy, your link returns a 404 Error.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2016, 00:12:30 »
Andy, your link returns a 404 Error.
Sorry, fixed now. Andy

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44:32 »
CS6 stitching is in Ps.  In CC the stitching is in ACR.  When the swapping started it was slower than without swapping, but only a little slower.  I think the only delay was for part of the data that already been worked on to swap out.  Remember, my test is based on a 16 shot D800 data set. There are stability issues running 4 sticks of memory.  Right now 16x2 32 GB memory kits are pricey.  Memory keeps getting cheaper and faster.  Who knows what I will be able to snag in a year.  It's fine to have 32 gb of memory but for the occasional large pano it doesn't make sense for me.  Forget about 8 gb, that's for gaming and MS office.

I am not saying 16 gb is enough for everyone or even most photographers, but it is enough for the way I work now, and probably for while.

If you have a desktop with 4 sticks of 8 gb you can try some tests.  On a notebook, it might not work the same as there are only 2 sticks and going to single channel is a hit.

Let me mention this, Intel makes a tiny barebones computer, the Nuc.  I have one of the lower powered models in use as a dedicated home theater PC.  Their latest offerings have I-5 and I-7 notebook Skylake chips.  Add memory, SSD, operating system and peripherals and you have a computer.  They go together with fewer hitches than an ATX/mATX system. 

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:43 »
Running 32 GB as 4x8 configuration on my Thinkpads. They fly along.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2016, 05:35:24 »
Running 32 GB as 4x8 configuration on my Thinkpads. They fly along.

It is nice that your Thinkpads have room for 4 sticks of memory.  That is a high end feature.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2016, 06:02:18 »
My PC has only two slots for DDR3L-1600 SODIMMs, but there is no 16G SODIMM on the market.  :(
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira