Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your self-portraits  (Read 76849 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: [Theme] Show us your self-portraits
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:01 »
Birna, you are sexy as ever.
 ---

Jakov, aren't you the sweetest guy :)

Hans_S

• NG Supporter
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2020, 01:01:03 »
The Nikonos IV was prone to leakage hence I quickly abandoned...

I purchased the IV as an all-weather camera for sailing, snorkelling, surf and snow. However, 1500km into a 10,000km road trip my 6month old camera's LED's went on holiday too. I was not impressed as the end point of that trip was the Great Barrier Reef  >:( >:(   The cloud over the IV further darkened when the repair guy casually mentioned that "...we've seen quite a few of these with this problem...". Mine never flooded, probably because I never took it below 3m underwater ;D
Hans Schepers

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #257 on: November 27, 2020, 04:52:04 »
The Nikonos IV was prone to leakage hence I quickly abandoned it in favour of the V. I still have a couple of Nikonos V bodies and all the lenses, including the fabulous 15mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkor, somewhere in my cupboards. Been a while since last used though, which is a pity. Having a digital version of the Nikonos capable of using those Nikonos optics would really be something :) The AW1 is very good, but I don't entirely trust their longevity. One out of my 3 AW1 bodies is already malfunctioning. Another had a small leak that fortunately didn't incapacitate the camera as I detected it early on and was able to dry out the camera. Working in fresh water confers  advantages -- such incidents in sea water would be bad.

I had and still have my Nikonos IV that survived a very large number of free diving and scuba diving sessions. The casket type main seal was often blamed on leaks, but it was not a problem with proper care. Both the Nikonos IV and V is sensitive to leaks at the shutter speed dial if it is allowed to go too long without servicing. Those leaks are usually just a drop now and then, which if used in salt water will slowly corrode the film advance/shutter mechanism if gone unnoticed until irreversible damage occurs. I caught it just in time when opened my IV and cleaned and re-greased those o-rings for the first time. My dive buddy flooded Nikonos V 3 times. I helped salvage it the first time and later bought it from him. The second flooding of his replacement V (did not trust the salvaged one for work) was eventually blamed on a leaky Ikelite strobe connector. Unfortunately it was not discovered that it was the connector when I salvaged it during marine field work in Svalbard, and it flooded again on the next dive after being revived.

Birna, I am curious what kind of malfunction you are seeing in one of your AW1s and where the leak in one of your other AW1s occurred?

I bet we are going to see some high end UW-housings for Z-bodies adapted to the Nikonos 15mm. Some adaptations already exists for the Nikonos RS lenses.

Øivind Tøien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: November 29, 2020, 20:12:27 »
Sorry saw your post a bit late, Øivind.

The 11-27.5 UW kit zoom malfunctioned on one of the AW1 bodies, causing the camera to lock up. I detected some moisture inside which probably led to the issue. After drying out the lens and camera, and relubricate the O-ring, the camera did commence operation, but with that particular lens it shut down again once the zoom exceed ~15mm setting. More drying out and discarding the lens as faulty made the camera operative (with other 1 Series Nikkors). I restricted the camera to terrestrial use from here on and apparently it delivers the goods again.

The second camera again showed a leak through the main O-ring and started to lock up intermittently. I again dried it and relubricated and it seems fine with the 10/2.8 UW lens, but not the replacement 11-27.5 UW. Oh well. Anyway I now have three AW1, one which is unreliable most of the time, one which usually works, and finally, the third that for the present can be relied upon. My standing stock of 11-27.5 kit UW lenses have shrunk to 2, plus  1 junked lens used for experimential purposes and a fourth lens that I don't trust so only use above water.

I should add that some of these issues might have been my own fault, directly or indirectly, as with my recent very long hair, tiny shredded strands easily can interfere with the mounts and seals on the AW1 bodies. However I now keep one AW1 permanently with its 11-27.5 kit lenbs and the other with the 10/2.8 exclusively. Thus no swapping of lenses occur for either body. I do relubricate the seals before the "new" season trying very carefully to avoid leakage issues.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2020, 01:14:24 »

Thanks for the details, Birna. It is surprising that it was the main o-ring that failed as this type of piston seals is known to be very reliable, provided that tolerances are followed. However the initial o-ring on my AW1 had a fault at the seam that could potentially have caused a leak. I discovered it during my initial inspection and had it replaced by Nikon. The o-rings at the zoom mechanism on the other hand are very thin and user non-serviceable. (I know because Nikon initially sent med the wrong replacement o-rings). If they dry out and the lens is zoomed to quickly there could be potential for it to warp. After warranty service of my 11-27.5mm, there was a big leak there apparently caused by an incorrect installation of those o-rings, but the water did not make it to the mount. After that I have dedicated the replacement 11-27.5mm to land use and very short dips, and the 10mm/Olympus fisheye converter combo for underwater use. If I use my AW1 in salt water, I clean and lubricate the o-ring before first use, and then after each use if possible by soaking in fresh water followed by drying and relubrication. Salt crystals left behind when remaining salt water dries can easily cause leaks.

I do see many comments in the DPR 1 series forum about "aperture sickness" syndrome on regular CX lenses .
Øivind Tøien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2020, 07:34:47 »
--
I do see many comments in the DPR 1 series forum about "aperture sickness" syndrome on regular CX lenses .

I have other CX lenses with the "aperture" issue, yes. Amongst them a nice, but unreliable, 10-100mm, and two samples of 10-30mm. A pity they designed these lenses in the manner they did, as optically speaking the CX series can be surprisingly good.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2020, 09:13:48 »

Yes, the AW 11-27.5mm is surprisingly good, especially considering the waterproof construction and the new price that was somewhere around $100 as I recall.
Øivind Tøien

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2020, 10:54:44 »

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2020, 21:16:07 »
To day I collected my 10-30 after a free service. What I call good service, as it was serviced fir them same fault 5 yers ago.
So if you have one of these lenses with the aperture error, get it serviced.

k0dlo

• NG Member
  • Nikon owner since 1969 Ftn
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2020, 18:31:45 »
Covid-19 photo during "lockdown"

Denny O

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2020, 19:39:01 »
That's me on Teams deco 8)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: December 18, 2020, 22:21:10 »
Refreshing the hair colours :)  -- properly masked up, of course.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2020, 00:08:34 »
Eight weeks ago, enjoying oxygen and a drip feed cocktail of dexamethasone and Resemevir.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #268 on: December 19, 2020, 05:06:40 »

Ouch, hope you are properly recovered again, Robert!
Øivind Tøien

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2020, 11:53:04 »
Thank you Øivind, it's not been a pleasant journey but I'm getting there.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK