Author Topic: DIY AI Conversion!  (Read 3541 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
DIY AI Conversion!
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:15 »
http://richardhaw.com/2016/01/21/diy-ai-conversion/

Hi! just sharing my blog post on how I convert my pre-Ai lenses using a dremel  :o :o :o

I hope that you enjoyed it!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: DIY AI Conversion!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:31:06 »
Thanks for the article, Richard. You earn 1 NG Nerd Star (*)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:43:38 »
thank you! i swear that i would have bought a table top lathe so that i could even turn rings and converters for my lenses! currently, i am just turning my extension rings from a dremel! japanese landlords are strict, specially with noise at night and what you do within the house  :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:46:45 »
We just had another thread on this subject and I see you make the same mistake in your Blog on Ai convertion

Thread is here:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,2650.0.html

I stated:

For the Aperture ring to work on cameras with 'Minimum Aperture sensor' like on D200 and D40 etc. you also need to cut down the aperture ring to make a second ridge for that to work properly.
The sensor informs the camera that the lens is set to minimum aperture or not... Used for P and S Mode.

If you install one of Bjørns G-Type CPUs no ridges are needed, Since G-Type lenses has no ridges... Not always a good solution since the pre Ai apertures are not always linear - But not all lenses know that... ::)

IMHO the image show how to make a quick and dirty DIY hack that works on some cameras - Not recommended!

Some Pre-Ai aperture rings are a bit short for these mods to work like a real AI or Ais ring, they barely catch the aperture index lever on the camera, so a little extra care when mounting the lens will prolong the cameras aperture index levers life, it's a rather fragile component...
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:59:41 »
oh,yes! i for got about that! thank you for pointing that out  :o :o :o
i should add that as a follow-up post!

i have not used those bodies so i skipped it (started with the D60 from a canon T60)