Author Topic: f64?  (Read 3505 times)

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
f64?
« on: February 03, 2016, 20:37:59 »
For Bjorn or anyone else out there: has Nikon ever made an F mount lens which would stop down to f64? Or is it even physically possible?
Thanks for all replies.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: f64?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 20:40:17 »
Sure. The really old long Nikkors did f/64. My 800/8 Nikkor ED goes to f/64 in its focusing mount AU-1.

Why would this not be possible? Some 8x10" large-format lenses stop down to f/128.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 20:42:38 »
By the way, f/64 is helpful if you insist on shooting ISO 51200 or higher in daylight and run out of available fast shutter speeds ... Been there during test shooting.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 20:48:37 »
Any lens that can be stopped down to f32 and can accept a x2 TC will be f64.  ;)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 20:54:10 »
The aperture read-out on most Nikons will cover f/1 to f/95.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 21:57:19 »
Any lens that can be stopped down to f32 and can accept a x2 TC will be f64.  ;)

All right, so my Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 lens with 2X TC will go down to f/90. The lens on its own stops down to f/45. Still within the acceptable range for Nikon aperture read-outs, whether with or without the TC. 

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:50:37 »
Sure. The really old long Nikkors did f/64. My 800/8 Nikkor ED goes to f/64 in its focusing mount AU-1.

Why would this not be possible? Some 8x10" large-format lenses stop down to f/128.

I don't mind buying any of the old lenses if they will meter on my D810. Just doing some experiments for my own curiosity, thank you.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:49 »
Some of these oldies will not meter without a CPU chip, because there might not be an aperture linkage. Or there is no aperture ring in the usual position at the very rear. Put a "G" CPU in any of these and as long as there is an aperture stop-down lever in the lens, it'll be a breeze to use. Even without direct mechanical linkage, i.e. a preset lens, a "G" chip will allow metering at the wide open aperture (to attain maximum accuracy), but you have to flick the preset ring immediately before shooting. Thus in the preset case, put the ring on the lens to the intended shooting aperture, flick it wide open. set camera to that aperture number, meter, then flick the ring to stop down the lens and shoot. You can work this procedure very quickly with some practice.Obviously, only "M" exposure mode will function as intended. If you insist on "A", it *is* possible even with preset or non-coupled lenses*, but then you might have to set an additional exposure correction as well and this is limited to max. 5 stops on most cameras.

* if you can do with reduced metering accuracy and a much dimmer finder, shooting in "A" mode with the lens already stopped down to the intended aperture makes for slightly faster action. However, now focusing might well be the critical limiting factor. This is essentially the situation with third-party lenses on a mirrorless camera, by the way. Doing away with aperture automation is a throwback to the '50s. The EVF sooner or later becomes a noise blur if the aperture is small enough.