Author Topic: Sad Story of a fake picture!  (Read 13006 times)

Mike G

Sad Story of a fake picture!
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:07:45 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35457135

This article makes not very nice reading, I'm afraid another brickbat for Nikon

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Sad Story of a fake picture!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:15:14 »
Sad, indeed...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:45 »
Must be BBC then ....

Came quite positive around in our press
http://derstandard.at/2000030135830/Award-fuer-schlecht-manipuliertes-Foto-Netz-spottet-ueber-Nikon?dst=www.facebook.com

See the images the shit stormers produced
and Nikon's response was positively covered.

Andy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:25:05 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35457135

This article makes not very nice reading, I'm afraid another brickbat for Nikon

So, what has this to do with Nikon? And what is  so 'sad' about it?

A composite is a legal approach to photography. Done thousands of times before and will continue to be conducted.

If the rules of a competition state composites are not allowed, then the onus is on the photographer not to enter. That's the gist of it.

Whether we believe or not in the story told by a photograph has everything to do with the trust we place on the photographer. Not his gear nor his technique. Images always lie. They are never the truth. It is the photographer that decides to stick to what he or she perceives as the 'true' story.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:27:44 »
I completely agree.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:35:41 »
To elaborate the above:

Have a look at my picture below. The story is true. There were planes flying over that forest clearing. I have eye witness to the fact the components seen in this photo occurred exactly like I framed them. But the record is done in IR so neither I nor the observers could see the scene in the manner it displays here. However, being pretty well versed in IR over the years, I easily could envision a final result like this being possible and that was what I was chasing for in the oak forest outside Copenhagen that bleak late autumn day. I decided the airplane was the detail needed to make the statement of the composition. I prefer to get everything of required material for a photo in-camera, but would not hesitate a split second to put a detail there from another frame if I failed to get it right. The photo is about conveying an idea, a visualisation of concepts, not about sterile perfection for its own sake.

It so happened that on the tenth attempt or so, all the components came together that day. Still I would have had the idea manifested in a similar photographic composite if not successful in the field. Thus, what is the difference?

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 13:27:58 »
Indeed...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 13:35:44 »
Pretty sure that if you check the time stamp on those two files they match up pretty well ;)
_EGL1568 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 13:44:56 »
I think the difference is that you captured what was there.

It is the skill of creativity and timing with which you chose to press the shutter button, as all the components were in place, that makes this a compelling image, along with the use of IR light.  If you had just pasted in an aeroplane where none existed then I think your image would have less artistic value.

With the disqualified image in Mike's link, what was remarkable was the perfect framing of the fast moving plane, captured with exquisite precision.  Except that we now know that it wasn't that way at all. 

Anyone can paste a silhouette of a plane in a frame provided by a building or nature, but who respects that?
Anthony Macaulay

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 13:54:11 »
Anthony, I happen to agree with your last statement. There must be a reason for the way any picture is composed and presented. Cut-and-paste alone will not suffice.

Still, if the competition into which the 'fake' picture was entered had no rules against image composites, the photographer did nothing wrong per se. Perhaps he should own up to the fact of making a composite voluntarily and not later, but that is a minor offence in my book at least. Photography is an art form and way of expressing ideas that has its own domain of known methods and it is folly not to accept the tools at hand being applied. We should not be fundamentalists just for the sake of it. Whether the presented outcome deserves and is improved by the putative  treatment ('cooking') is another aspect open for debate.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 14:13:18 »
Taken at 09:36:47 on 14 November 2010  8)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 14:26:26 »
Here is the exact same plane and moment, my mistake :)
Bjørn managed of course to capture the plane in clear sight unlike me :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 14:32:34 »
The issue of fake images in photographic competitions and possible IP infringements brings up a question:  can anyone recommend a search link or tool where one can automate the process of comparing a given image with those in published/public domain image sources or nominated sites that one may be authorised to have access to?

TIA
Hugh Gunn

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 14:49:43 »
Must be BBC then ....

Andy

I think the BBC may still be smarting from the Captive/Tame Wolf Scandal

of course Nikon Singapore is not quite in the same League as the BBC and Natural History Museum Wildlife Photographer of the year  ;)

Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 14:55:19 »
The issue of fake images in photographic competitions and possible IP infringements brings up a question:  can anyone recommend a search link or tool where one can automate the process of comparing a given image with those in published/public domain image sources or nominated sites that one may be authorised to have access to?

TIA
Reverse Image search with Google images works
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en
Erik Lund