Author Topic: The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2  (Read 55410 times)

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
Re: The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 21:17:57 »
Lowell: a qualified repair shop probably can have a go at it, provided they get hold of the repair manual. Any Nikon repair facility should have these manuals.

However, with such volume sellers it might be cheaper to locate another copy. Repairs can rapidly become too expensive for items of modest inherent cost.

Thanks Bjorn - Good suggestion.  I want the close focusing distance of the f/2 lens, hence the Gerbera Daises.  Being better educated, I will know what to test for.

Lowell
Lowell Harris

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 21:21:25 »
Perhaps you ought to look into the 28/2.8 AIS - it does focus noticeably closer and is better optimised for the near range.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 23:05:24 »
Like the slower 28/2.8 AIS, the 28/2 has its CRC done by the front group of the optics. This makes it susceptible to bumps and knocks I guess and might explain the sometimes conflicting statements about the optical performance in particular at the widest apertures...

My 28mm f/2.8 AIS has suffered rolling down a 4m dropoff hitting one rocky outcrop after another, finally digging deep into the sand on a beach, and being dropped on concrete floor from 1.5 m. It still does not show signs of decentering. I think in both cases it took the impact from the side while rotating, and the front is "protected" by a 52mm to 62mm step-up ring in front of an NC filter (which did not break on any of the occasions, but had to be replaced after the "sand blasting"). It does have a deep mark of honor in the chrome ring though.
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 23:08:06 »
OK, so you have been lucky. Evidence from poorly centered copies indicate not everyone share this experience.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 00:11:52 »
The 28/2 wide open. Better not corner your subject. Otherwise an interesting rendering, with sufficient sharpness not too far from the center.
The present shot is a bit pushing the lens into the extreme. Df, 28/2 AI.

BTW I am fond of that lens, the rendering of which is very different from the 28/1.8 G. The latter is no doubt sharper wide open ; stopped down I prefer the oldie.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 00:14:46 »
Coma : bad (pls view large)
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 00:20:54 »
Still wide open. When sharpness is secondary, the lens gets more interesting.
Airy Magnien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 09:01:25 »
OK, so you have been lucky. Evidence from poorly centered copies indicate not everyone share this experience.

Yes, I felt very lucky after my 28mm f/2.8 AIS  took the flight, but not so much when I watched it roll over the edge of the dropoff in "slow motion". Although admittedly my next thought was "that is it"; it could not have survived, so now I had an excuse to try out the 28mm f/2 version of the lens.  :D  Perhaps what saved it was the final landing place in the sand, and that it apparently did not hit in the front part very hard as the step-up ring did not have any deep marks or dings to it.
Øivind Tøien

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 11:14:42 »
I love this little lens, and my copy is superb example of this true Nikon classic. Sharp in the centre from f2, it is extremely sharp all over by f4 and this is maintained until about f9 or f10 where slight diffraction effects creep in. (A little careful extra sharpening deals with that.) Vignetting is apparent at the wider apertures but is minimal at f4 and gone at f5.6.

The comma mentioned by Airy is certainly present but of course is only a problem for night shots, and again is gone by f4.

In spite of that last point, what I mostly use the 28/2 for is photography of the night sky, and it will be no surprise to learn that I generally shoot at f4 - sharp all over, vignetting and comma gone, and usefully, a hard infinity stop (unlike modern lenses) so you always know you are correctly focussed.

The attachment shows the effects of light pollution but in this case I don't think it matters.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 11:22:44 »

with a bit of processing

Zandvoort

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:42:38 »
"with a bit of processing" - I'd say, more like a lot :D

The banding in the sky is annoying and should be taken care of. Otherwise the effect is OK.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 12:06:22 »
"with a bit of processing" - I'd say, more like a lot :D

The banding in the sky is annoying and should be taken care of. Otherwise the effect is OK.

Thanks, indeed correction needed

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 12:52:45 »
Azalea time last April, Nezu Shrine, Tokyo.
Mike Selby - Sydney

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 13:32:28 »
Indeed coma is completely gone at F/4

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter