Author Topic: The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2  (Read 55406 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2
« on: January 25, 2016, 21:56:53 »
Once in a while, it can be beneficial and soothing to one's mind to see what could be achieved with the old Nikkors back in the stone age days before plastics, AF, and cheap designs entered the scene.

I invite anyone using or having used any of the 28/2 Nikkors (pre-AI, AI, AIS) to show some examples of what the lens could deliver. Your thought around that lens are of course most welcome as well.

I like this kind of lens because it is neat, handles well, doesn't create much of a lens flare issue on its own, and can focus quite close. You thus can use the wide angle character of forcing yourself (and the viewer) into the scene so as to create more intimacy, whilst at the same time being able to capture the ambience of the main subject.

Minimal Impact

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 22:18:52 »
After you let me try your chipped Ai28/2.0, I decided to buy one for me.  I've used my Ais version (the last one with the super integrated coatings) only with the lowly D40, but the flare/ghost control was excellent.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 22:38:15 »
Don't look down on the D40 or even more so, on the D40x. They are great cameras. Surprisingly robust as well - my D40X has survived ordeals known to knock other makes unconscious :D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 22:42:22 »
Actually, my memories with D40 are rather pleasing.  :)  It was an excellent "entry model" in the true sense of the word thanks to its UV-VIS-IR capability without modification.

I still adore the look of CCD images, and even now I sometimes want to purchase D60 or D3000.  My eyes was not as deteriorated as now, so the manual focusing on its tiny screen with this short lens was of no problem.   :'(
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 23:06:35 »
I have the pre-AI version and like the lens a lot. It has a complete different character as the 1.8G, smoother bokey, and the advantages as Bjørn describes in the opening post.

Here wide open at a Military Veterans-day. Love it how the background is built up.

D700

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:31:46 »

Old timers Haarlem

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
    • Nick Scavone Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 04:23:47 »
I have a Nikon 28mm f/2 Ai lens. Wonderful lens.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:33:46 »
Nick..fantastic shot.  The lighting, the color, the texture all very nice.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 17:33:13 »
I have the AIS version.  It is quite soft at f/2, much better at f/2.8.  I really like the perspective it give for the collections of Old Autos nearby.

The first image is of the roller mills at the old Star flower mill.  Built in the 1880's and functional until about 40 years ago, it was water powered until the end.

Lowell
Lowell Harris

Lowell

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 17:47:15 »
Just found another one I like.  This old gasoline delivery truck, 1927 vintage Ford.  It is located on the grounds of a self-storage facility.  The owner gets revenue from the storage units (hundreds of them) and then seems to love to invest in vintage gasoline station collectibles. 

Lowell 
Lowell Harris

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 18:02:07 »
Like the slower 28/2.8 AIS, the 28/2 has its CRC done by the front group of the optics. This makes it susceptible to bumps and knocks I guess and might explain the sometimes conflicting statements about the optical performance in particular at the widest apertures. I once purchased a second-hand copy that exhibited stellar sharpness on half the frame and was bad mush on the other side. The seller claimed it was "within specifications" and I had to bring some pressure to bear before I got my money back. The next sample was flawless.

Lowell

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 20:24:32 »
Like the slower 28/2.8 AIS, the 28/2 has its CRC done by the front group of the optics. This makes it susceptible to bumps and knocks I guess and might explain the sometimes conflicting statements about the optical performance in particular at the widest apertures. I once purchased a second-hand copy that exhibited stellar sharpness on half the frame and was bad mush on the other side. The seller claimed it was "within specifications" and I had to bring some pressure to bear before I got my money back. The next sample was flawless.

Bjorn,

How difficult is the re-alignment procedure?  I would like my copy to perform will at f/2 for several reasons.

Regards,

Lowell
Lowell Harris

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 20:47:49 »
Good question.

My sample looks okay, I guess.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 20:59:13 »
Lowell: a qualified repair shop probably can have a go at it, provided they get hold of the repair manual. Any Nikon repair facility should have these manuals.

However, with such volume sellers it might be cheaper to locate another copy. Repairs can rapidly become too expensive for items of modest inherent cost.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 21:11:47 »
A night scene with the 28/2 and the comet Hale-Bopp (1997). Obviously no EXIF back then as I used the Nikon F2 to capture the comet, but my field notes state the shot was at "wide aperture". This copy is an AI.

Film grain is obvious, but so is the general impression of sharpness that prevails.