Author Topic: The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2  (Read 55421 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2022, 04:48:29 »
Here is one from the 28mm f/2.8 AIS @ f/4 on D200. full resolution if opened in new tab. It was possibly captured though a window though so the quality of the window glass comes into play.  My impression of this copy of the lens is that performance is really good near wide open all over the frame, also near infinity. I later tested a copy of 24mm f/2 AIS, which probably resolved a little better in the center, but had really poor edges even stopped down.

Øivind Tøien

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2022, 10:04:50 »
Here is one from the 28mm f/2.8 AIS @ f/4 on D200. full resolution if opened in new tab. It was possibly captured though a window though so the quality of the window glass comes into play.  My impression of this copy of the lens is that performance is really good near wide open all over the frame, also near infinity. I later tested a copy of 24mm f/2 AIS, which probably resolved a little better in the center, but had really poor edges even stopped down.

The D200 is a DX camera, so it is difficult to evaluate corner performance based on this pic. all F/C/K/Ai/AiS 28mm lenses (2.8 and 3.5) have FF coverage.
I have the 28mm/2.8 AiS (1981, with CRC), and my own experience with it is positive at all distances, haven't used it lately but I chipped it, so it may come into play very soon...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2022, 11:23:35 »
Good point, I have only evaluated it in the FX viewfinder of my F4 (and F2) where it looks OK, but it is not a very accurate evaluation.
Øivind Tøien

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2022, 12:02:20 »
28 f/2 at three aperture values and distances.
NG meeting, Granada 2018

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2022, 05:05:33 »
Zang, alas my 28/2.8AiS test shots have been deleted and are gone. Might be better...certainly faster... to set up your own test.

No worries Keith. If I get a chance, I will test the lens for sure! Will report back.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2022, 05:10:07 »
I found an Infinity example here:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/37324070

Strange if Nikon re-design a wide-angle lens (AI-AIS) that is not sharp at infinity?

Maybe the CRC are gone out of alignment on some samples?

Thanks Meper. I think I have seen this discussion before. With high ISO and low light condition, those pictures are not the best ones to assess the lens's quality. I notice that my copy goes a bit past the infinity. Maybe, people who complain about infinity just rely on the hard stop of the lens?

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2022, 05:12:25 »

This looks very good to me. Thanks for sharing!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2022, 05:34:21 »
A distance of 2 - 3 miles is probably a greater than ideal distance due to atmospheric influence. I would think 100 to 200 yards would be more than enough for a 28mm lens.

Dave
A good point to make, Dave.  Atmosphere is always there to throw potential gremlins into any lens test that involves great distances.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2022, 10:38:18 »
A general comment from the side line: we are discussing lenses which can be decades old, with an unknown history of abuse and knocks and bumps happening to them. The front CRC design is vulnerable and it is entirely possible to have lenses go out of alignment over time.

A small consolation (?)  is that some wide-angle lenses with *rear* CRC can deteriorate even faster quality-wise during their life span. The Nikkor 24/2 comes to mind and I have encountered plenty of copies of this optic with sub-standard performance.