Author Topic: Snow but no sun  (Read 995 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Snow but no sun
« on: January 21, 2016, 22:17:49 »
Four images from our first days of meagre snow, last week. (Later, there was a sunny day).

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Snow but no sun
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 23:08:53 »
The weather looks familiar, but less snow ...

The grey alders have their catkins poised to unleash their pollen in a not too distant future I see. A spring greeting I could do well without :(

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 14:06:33 »
The weather looks familiar, but less snow ...

The grey alders have their catkins poised to unleash their pollen in a not too distant future I see. A spring greeting I could do well without :(

Most of our waterways are lined with alders and if tree-pollen is a problem, in May I'd come with a good supply of medication, if I were you. Many river-side alders are toppling into the water as the banks get eroded by the increased flow caused by global warming, but there will still be plenty left in May.

Of course, as the banks erode and the alders get undermined, this will lead to much worse erosion since it's the roots of the alders which keep the riverbanks in place. I've  tried alerting "the authorities" to this situation but they don't understand, or don't have any money, or don't care; or all three.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 19:48:18 »
These are very satisfying, classic compositions that come through even on the 13" laptop screen.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 16:01:18 »
Thanks, Keith - much appreciated.