Author Topic: Blizzard  (Read 2511 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Blizzard
« on: January 18, 2016, 00:10:20 »
Today on Striding Edge, Lake District.

Simone Tomasi

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:36:04 »
You have gone against the conventional wisdom, which would dictate the elevation of scene contrast. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:15:21 »
You have gone against the conventional wisdom, which would dictate the elevation of scene contrast.

In a sense you are right.
The scene was a near whiteout, I did actually add quite a lot of contrast.
Maybe I should have added more.
Simone Tomasi

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:39:07 »
In a sense you are right.
The scene was a near whiteout, I did actually add quite a lot of contrast.
Maybe I should have added more.

Depends what you are trying to convey, the title is 'Blizzard' which is what the image conveys to me very nicely, the air is full of flying snowflakes, by definition a blizzard tends to be low contrast.

A snowscape in good visibility would probably demand fairly high contrast?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:46 »
I'm troubled more by the title of the photograph than the picture itself. Frankly, no blizzard is perceived as such by me.

I do see a snow scene with a restricted tonal range and fairly low contrast, a depiction which of course is entirely acceptable on its own. But blizzard? No way.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:26:50 »
Seems like the last picture Oetzi took before he was hit by an arrow...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:30:19 »
I'm troubled more by the title of the photograph than the picture itself. Frankly, no blizzard is perceived as such by me.

I do see a snow scene with a restricted tonal range and fairly low contrast, a depiction which of course is entirely acceptable on its own. But blizzard? No way.

Had you been there maybe your opinion would be different.
Visibility was very limited,  almost a whiteout. Driving snow with strong wind gusts throwing off your balance on an exposed ridge.
How the view is represented in the image is a different matter open for discussion.
Apart from being b&with the edited image is not true to the real scene even tonally. I am not after a truthful description and this version is not final.
If you have any useful suggestions I will be happy to consider them.
Simone Tomasi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:12 »
I'm pretty familiar with snow in all aspects, Simone ....

The viewer has to relate to what is conveyed through the image, not what hardships the photographer endured. Admittedly that can be a tough lesson to accept on occasion and yes, I've been there too.

My problem, as I already stated, is that a true blizzard entails a level of drama and impact simply not perceived in your image. The ability to observe far detail further detracts from the notion of a blizzard.

I'm well aware that the concept of 'blizzard' in non-Nordic countries often is indiscriminately applied to even a mild snow fall, but the latter is without much drama. From your picture I can guess there is wind and snow present, but not much more.

Had there been simple rules to follow to provide fail-safe advices for shooting snow and blizzards, I would freely share them. But there aren't rules set in stone here as in any other field of photography. Sometimes combining rear-sync flash with slow shutter speeds or even long exposures can be efficient. Worth at least a try.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 23:16:08 »
I'm pretty familiar with snow in all aspects, Simone ....

I am sure you are. You are not the Fierce Bear of the North by chance.

The viewer has to relate to what is conveyed through the image, not what hardships the photographer endured. Admittedly that can be a tough lesson to accept on occasion and yes, I've been there too.

My problem, as I already stated, is that a true blizzard entails a level of drama and impact simply not perceived in your image. The ability to observe far detail further detracts from the notion of a blizzard.

I'm well aware that the concept of 'blizzard' in non-Nordic countries often is indiscriminately applied to even a mild snow fall, but the latter is without much drama. From your picture I can guess there is wind and snow present, but not much more.

Had there been simple rules to follow to provide fail-safe advices for shooting snow and blizzards, I would freely share them. But there aren't rules set in stone here as in any other field of photography. Sometimes combining rear-sync flash with slow shutter speeds or even long exposures can be efficient. Worth at least a try.

Having checked the strict meaning of blizzard, I have to agree that I used the term a bit liberally, it was not a true whiteout (thankfully! Otherwise I would have been terrified)
On the other hand, in a true blizzard I would have photographed only white (or possibly middle grey), assuming my lens hood did not fill of snow.
Another interesting factoid I learned is that blizzard refers more to the whiteout and the wind, rather than the amount of snow, and that it does not require precipitation; in a ground blizzard the snow is lifted by the wind from the ground. The strength of the wind was just about enough to justify use of the word and the snow was indeed being lifted, not falling from the sky.

Back to the image, I wouldn't have used a flash even if I thought about it, but it is an interesting thought.
I have revisited the shot to give more evidence to the drifting snow.
The second shot is a bit more "blizzardy", although with a less interesting view.

PS. I should have thought about experimenting also with slower shutter speeds to record more streaks, but I was in "point and shoot" mode. I set aperture and ISO at the beginning of the ridge and let the camera do the rest.
Simone Tomasi

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 00:18:12 »
Perhaps a photograph of a fine day on Striding Edge would put things into a stronger context?

Frankly I am amazed that anyone would venture along Striding Edge in that weather, there have been many fatal falls from that path on balmy, sunny, summer days let alone in those conditions, blizzard or not, almost sheer 300M drops on both sides of a narrow, exposed path.  It's many years since I was up there!

While in Nordic terms it's probably not much more than a snow flurry, in England it would be considered a blizzard by most, if only because we so rarely see more than a centimetre or two of snow from year to the next.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 00:56:52 »
Most if not all things are relative.

Simone, your last picture starts to make the relevant impression ...

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:34 »
Perhaps a photograph of a fine day on Striding Edge would put things into a stronger context?

Frankly I am amazed that anyone would venture along Striding Edge in that weather, there have been many fatal falls from that path on balmy, sunny, summer days let alone in those conditions, blizzard or not, almost sheer 300M drops on both sides of a narrow, exposed path.  It's many years since I was up there!

While in Nordic terms it's probably not much more than a snow flurry, in England it would be considered a blizzard by most, if only because we so rarely see more than a centimetre or two of snow from year to the next.

Hi Robert,

I agree that Striding Edge is potentially a dangerous place, especially if hazards are not properly taken into account.
Many people who get in trouble are under equipped and inexperienced, although occasionally accidents happen even to people who know what they are doing and have taken all reasonable safety measures.
I have done Striding Edge numerous times, both in the summer and in winter, and always with the right equipment. Even in a near white-out I know where I am, even on the top plateau, which is difficult to navigate in low visibility.
This time I had crampons, ice axe and full winter clothing including goggles. Some sections were windier than I would have liked and the driving snow blasted me in a rather painful way, but I never felt in real danger or near panicking. The actual walking on he ridge was perhaps even easier than in the summer, because the snow had compacted and filled most of the gaps between rocks, giving wearers of crampons a relatively even surface for walking. The final climb was really hard work, but did not feel particularly dangerous.

Striding Edge is a fine ridge, one of the few proper aretes outside Scotland, but still an easy one in mountaineering terms.
Sharp Edge, still in the Lakes, although shorter is technically more difficult, especially in winter (I have done it only in dry summer conditions)

When I get back home I will post a few images showing better Striding Edge in summer and winter conditions.
Simone Tomasi

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:08 »
I have just Googled some pictures of Striding Edge.

It is not for me :o
Anthony Macaulay

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 21:52:46 »
I have just Googled some pictures of Striding Edge.

It is not for me :o

Anthony, you can just sit in your armchair and look at the images.  :)

Here follow some from my records, in better weather.
The first is from last June, that is my friend Ed. You can see the ridge looking back all the way from the usual start (the bottom; but I have done it also in reverse).
In the middle a glorious day with mild winter conditions.
The second to last is yours truly at the end of the ascent; the last shows an early spring view of Striding Edge in its entirety from the southern side.
Simone Tomasi

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 23:33:46 »
Thank you Simone, it's every bit as narrow and high as I remember it!
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK