Author Topic: Packing gear...  (Read 4152 times)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
Packing gear...
« on: January 14, 2016, 22:06:22 »
I am packing for a family holiday. Leaving the cold for a hot breeze, luke warm waters and beautiful sunsets. But as always there is some decisions regarding camera gear. Since it's a family trip one have to tone down the heavy gear, but make room for a opportunity to sneak away to capture some great vistas or some endemic species. This time I find my self packing suboptimal lenses for optimal IQ but perfect for "just in case opportunities" and some macro work. No 14-24, 70-200 or 600 found it's way in to my roller case. What made the "cut" was the 15 mm Venus, 20 mm Af-d f2,8, 50 mm f 1,2, 45 PC-E, Sigma 150 mm, 200-500 mm f5,6. That should cover all eventualities. Flash (Sb 910 and su800) for macro and portraits is a also a must (sigh...) The Nikon 1 AW1 for snorkeling, two cameras two avoid changing lenses :o Tripod with two heads for nightscapes and birds +++++. It seems like the insanity is rooted deep...
Any inputs to correct my tvisted mind? :(

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Packing gear...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 22:16:28 »
Not bad for a trip...

I would cut the 15, the 20 and the 50 (the 45 PC-E can do it, and better IMHO), and put the 14-24 that would be better for your landscape work.
Nice trip

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 22:25:17 »
Thanks! I will consider your suggestion. But I will miss the opportunity of close-up work on lizards and butterflies with the 14-24. Maybe leave the 20 mm and 50 mm, and do some stitching with the 45 mm for wider angles?

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 22:37:49 »
Using the 45 for landscape is even better...
For close-ups you'll have the Sigma 150, right?

Or rush and buy the new 20 AFS. Great lens.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 22:51:25 »
The new 20 mm looks great, but all feverish last minute buys are off. Crossing my fingers that they dont have any superdeals at the airport in Dubai  8)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 23:39:22 »
You have too much gear, I suggest leaving the 15 and 45PCE behind. Is there a specific reason for hauling the 200-500 into that heat inferno that is Dubai?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:04:07 »
Sounds less like a family trip and more like a photography trip.  The less gear you bring, the more you'll interact with your family.

I'd take the 20mm and 50mm, for group shots and portraits respectively.
-Tristin

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 07:57:36 »
Trip to my Mom.

Df, Tamron 45/1.8, 105/2.5 AIS.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 08:15:36 »
Given Dubai is the destination I'd recommend a fast 35 mm lens. I found that lens highly useful there. Add 85 or 105 plus an extension ring and you can take on a lot of challenges. The longer lens will allow more details of the cityscape, which is impressive in its own, weird manner.

I did bring the Noct-Nikkor on my visit, but used it less than I had thought prior to the trip as the 35/1.4 AFS covered a lot of ground for me.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:52 »
After Dubai (short stop, hate cities), the trip goes to Mauritius where I would like to photograph some of the endemic species. The Pink pigeon (Nesoenas mayor) and the Mauritian kestrel (Falco punctuates), Echo Parakeet (Psittacula eques), Rusa deer (Not endemic). A couple of days will be reserved for photography and the mornings and evenings are also good opportunities to get away for some landscape work and try to photograph some of the local fishermen and agriculture. We are also going to visit a couple of nature reserves and a botanical garden. So I have to cover all eventuality. But I don't intend to bring all the gear to every location. Most of it will stay at the hotel. If I bring a lens to a location, I have to use that lens whatever scene I might encounter. I will write a trip report if I find something worth sharing and interesting. If anyone has some tips for great locations on Mauritius please enlighten me :) 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 11:10:48 »
Something wide, something long, something close... We are all looking forward to the pictures ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 11:31:54 »
OK Børge, you end up birding and shooting various biological specimens - that explains a lot regarding the initial choice of lens arsenal :D

Still, pare down and rather bring a spare camera than yet another lens.

Mauritius is well worth its own travelogue. We look forward to the report.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 15:35:10 »
Thanks! I will try to deliver a travelreport even though it might be up to the standard otherwise shown in that section. -20 degrees celsius now, by tomorrow evening it will probably be 50-60 degrees warmer. "Alt er en overgang, sa reven da han ble flådd" (very old norwegian saying:-)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 15:57:40 »
To share the saying with our international audience, an approximate translation is as follows: "Everything is a transition, the Fox declared when he was skinned alive" :D

Bitingly cold here north of Oslo at the moment, temperatures dropped to below -22C last night and the days aren't that much warmer. Still, something between my current environment and Dubai would be preferred .... I'm no more fond of high than of low temperatures.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:30 »
There's something about metaphorical expressions regarding canids being skinned alive, and living, at least, long enough to talk about it, that brings back memories of my time on the ice; albeit some of it at the bottom of my glass, and especially after one of those infrequent what the hell am I doing here days. ::) Damn, but I love NikonGear!