Author Topic: Voigtländer SL 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar  (Read 20118 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Voigtländer SL 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2022, 10:50:06 »
I believe Birna has a chipped APO Lanthar 180mm
However CPU's to buy are not in stock any more...
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2022, 12:34:01 »
Indeed my APO 180/4 is chipped. Thanks to Erik's masterwork as a wizard, I'd like to add.

The 180APO has that "brittle" - nicely detailled and sharp yet rounded and smooth rendition - I came to associate with the first generation of ED lenses. My large-format 270mm f/6.3 ED T-Nikkor has exactly the same behaviour and was a much used and loved lens on my view cameras back in the dark ages of film.

I do have a small set of CPUs left, but they are dedicated to any further project that might occur. The opportunity of buying factory parts from Nikon has all but gone these days as well with all the reorganising of the Nikon subsidiaries taking place.

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2023, 21:33:46 »
Anyone interested in showing pictures while I am searching for this lens… again  ::)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2023, 15:29:03 »
Looking for my sample of the 180 APO as well -- perhaps it's in the little red car :) Not found in the >100mm section of the lens cupboards. I might have added it to an IR kit?

On a more serious note, if you can find a decent 180 APO with an acceptable price, grab it immediately. No need to ponder further, as the lens has qualities not easily seen in modern optics.

CPU-modifying it was a nightmare according to Erik, however being the Brave Viking with a golden heart he is, he did overcome the challenge. Perhaps using a Dandelion chip is easier although I have my doubts.

Below are some additional images  by the 180 APO, ranging from landscape to close-ups. Cameras Z6 & Z9.

Do note that due to the file size limitations enforced by NG, the actual image sharpness might not be obvious. Rest assured it is there.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2023, 16:58:43 »
.... I had added the 180 APO to my IR kit in the car :) thus it wasn't lost.

The last image in the previous post shows infection of the parasitic fungus Physoderma menyanthis on Menyanthis trifoliata. Fortunately the 180 APO was in my backpack that day or I would have missed the parasite.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2023, 00:14:46 »
I am glad I managed to buy its shorter sibling - the 90mm 3.5 Apo-Lanthar from Michael. This one has the CPU built-in so it works perfectly with old and new cameras. Unfortunately I have not had much opportunity to use it as my DSLR is currently out of action.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2023, 15:35:09 »
Just did a quick search for the 180 APO on eBay and apparently there are quite a number up for sale these days. Nearly all carry a hefty price tag and the asking price might now have surpassed that of the 125/2.5 APO as the latter appears to sell for less than before. The 180 is the rarer lens so once knowledge about its qualities becomes common-place, demand for it rises and with that the price level.  I think my sample was purchased > 15 years ago in a time where few people paid any interest to these APO optics and accordingly, asking price was most moderate.

I have plenty of Voigtländer lenses, but only a handful of the APO Lanthars. Four for the F mount (90/3.5 SL.2, 2*125/2.5, 180/4), for Nikon S rangefinder mount the elusive 85mm f/3.5 (which easily is adapted to Sony E or Nikon Z), and the newcomer 65mm f/2 in native Z mount. The 85/3.5 APO for Nikon S can occasionally be seen on eBay (there is a nice unit right now) and is interesting because the price is  often half, or less, than that of the more common 90/3.5. It does not focus as close as the 90/3.5 since it is a rangefinder-coupled lens, however it can take extension or close-up attachments. Using Z (or E) extension is the easiest approach as the filter size is a tiny 39mm and some ingenuity has to be called upon to fit most attachments. The 85 is so small it'll disappear in most pockets and weighs next to nothing.

Anyway, an overview of the APO-Lanthars in my possession. From left to right 65mm f/2 (native Z), 85mm f/3.5 + S-Z adapter, 90mm f/3.5 SL.2, 125mm f/2.5, and the 180/4, the three last ones using the FTZ adapter. All except for the 85 have CPU communication to the camera.

Do note the smallness of the 180 APO.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2023, 11:11:06 »
Looking for my sample of the 180 APO as well -- perhaps it's in the little red car :) Not found in the >100mm section of the lens cupboards. I might have added it to an IR kit?

On a more serious note, if you can find a decent 180 APO with an acceptable price, grab it immediately. No need to ponder further, as the lens has qualities not easily seen in modern optics.

CPU-modifying it was a nightmare according to Erik, however being the Brave Viking with a golden heart he is, he did overcome the challenge. Perhaps using a Dandelion chip is easier although I have my doubts.

Below are some additional images  by the 180 APO, ranging from landscape to close-ups. Cameras Z6 & Z9.

Do note that due to the file size limitations enforced by NG, the actual image sharpness might not be obvious. Rest assured it is there.
Yes I faintly remember chipping it during one of the many Copenhagen sessions ;) I recall it was difficult to adjust infinity on,,, Sweden was not far enough away I believe.
Very Impressive images poste here B!
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2023, 13:08:46 »

Is the file size limitations a "cost issue" only?
I am member at other forums (e.g. DIY Audio) where higher resolution images can be uploaded without any problems.
2200 pixels at the longest edge at best JPEG quality seems a nice image to look at with todays high resolution monitor.
Here at NG the limitation seems to be around 1600 pixels at best JPEG quality (it depends a lot of the image of course how detailed it is).

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2023, 11:52:31 »
Man… sometimes strange things happen…

When searching the 180, I found the 125 APO Lanthar,
top condition in its original box - even though I had some of
the Voigtlanders in the last decades, I never saw the complete package.

It doesn’t seem to beat my love for the 180…
Someone interested in the 125?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2023, 17:21:35 »
I do have several of the 125 APO-Lanthars, so no thanks. Why not keep it? It is a beautiful performer.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2023, 19:07:22 »
MEPER: 2000pix on the long axis with high jpg quality is entirely feasible. Do note the forum software reduces this to around 1600 pix max in a browser window, so in order to see the image in higher res. you need to right-click it to open in separate tab.

Also note that file size is very much a concern for us, as the server hasn't unlimited space to offer.

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2023, 11:03:21 »
I do have several of the 125 APO-Lanthars, so no thanks. Why not keep it? It is a beautiful performer.

It's pretty much the best lens I ever used, but it's size, which is quite bigger than the other smallish Voigtländer SL lenses
never allowed it to be fascinating for me...

BUT...

Success :)

I managed to find all (even more) than I hoped for.

Voigtländer SL II N 28mm 2.8 Color Skopar
Voigtländer SL 40mm 2.0 Ultron
Voigtländer SL 75mm 2.5 Color-Heliar
Voigtländer SL 180mm 4.0 APO Lanthar

next to
1x Voigtländer LH-28 (dome hood)
2x Voigtländer LH-40 D-Type hood
1x Voigtländer LH-40 S-Type hood

The only missing hood is the LH-75 - I am still searching ...  ::)