Author Topic: Lens Chip Q  (Read 1358 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Lens Chip Q
« on: January 11, 2016, 20:46:08 »
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 200mm f/4 Ai-s that is chipped, but apparently the chip came from a 300mm f/4.  Aside from the focal length reporting incorrectly, the seller says it works perfectly fine.  Would this effect anything I am unaware of?  Bjorn mentioned that chipping lenses can improve metering, does that involve the reported focal length?  Thanks in advance.
-Tristin

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Lens Chip Q
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 22:10:23 »
Sounds like it uses a standard Nikon contact block. It would be very easy to replace the chip itself with a custom chip from Bjørn to get correct EXIF and correct exit pupil data (that will potentially improve exposure).
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 22:13:35 »
Please help us by showing a picture of the rear end of the lens. This is to show the contact block arrangement.

As Øivind already noted, given that a standard Nikon block is used it'll be easy to replace the present CPU with a new one specifying the true lens parameters.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 22:49:21 »

So the incorrect focal length won't effect exposure until I am able to get it corrected?
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 23:05:56 »
Ouch. The chipping operator must be a true amateur ... You need to clean up any remaining burrs or grades from those screw holes. Otherwise they can damage the lens mount over time.

Otherwise, yes incorrect focal length basically influences little on the actual exposure unless you opt for P or S modes. But as the chip actually might be from the "wrong" lens, chances are high the exit pupil data is off and *that* will make metering less precise.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 23:20:58 »
Much appreciation for the information,  I will get a non-chipped copy.  I have been using non-chipped Ai-s for years so I will be just fine for now.
-Tristin