Author Topic: Dare we hope for a D700 replacement...  (Read 4463 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Dare we hope for a D700 replacement...
« on: January 09, 2016, 13:40:04 »
Now that there is a D300s replacement can we hope for a D700 replacement?

Here is what I'd like: I'd like a Nikon D900H and a Nikon D900X. The D900H would get the D5 image sensor and offer 10 fps. The D900X would have a 36MP image sensor (please no more than 42MP) with a base ISO of 32, lower noise and another stop of dynamic range will be fine. A frame rate of 6 fps would be good, 7 fps would be wonderful. I'd want the control layouts to be identical H to X and naturally they'd be based on the D5 and D500. The body size and weight would be that of the current D800 series. I'd like to see the pop up flash dropped as on the D500 and all the space needed given to an excellent pentaprism and viewfinder experience.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
Re: Dare we hope for a D700 replacement...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 14:47:40 »
+1 on everything.

Now that we have a radio trigger for flashes, which is small and light, there's no more excuses for popup flash. They could think to drop it from the D5xxx included.
No compromise on the viewfinder: better a brighter and bigger image.

Popup flash or not, I still ask for a less prominent housing: I still like to read the F/stop on the dial of my old lenses, and possibly anything to block tilt/shift Nikon or non-Nikon lenses with user selectable free rotation, and not just limited to 90°.
Marco Lanciani

Mike G

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 16:42:49 »
I would really be interested in a replacement for the D810, no pop up flash is a must. but yes to all the other innovations!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 19:06:17 »
Now that there is a D300s replacement can we hope for a D700 replacement?

The D750 is an excellent camera, the D600/610 are excellent too.

We will sure see the D850 with the Sony Sensor from the A7R2, which is HiISO & HiRes.

A D780 with the D5 Specs in a D8XX body ... why not?

Is there really something missing?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 19:25:09 »
Is there really something missing?
Buffer size, frame rate and every bit more of high ISO sensitivity helps....

If there where a full frame D500, I would consider to switch immediately.

cheers
afx

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:55:24 »
We can but dream. 

The D700 was too dammed good for its time and it almost certainly robbed Nikon of D3 and even D3s sales.

Sadly I doubt if Nikon will make the same mistake again.
Hugh Gunn

gwh

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 09:17:18 »
I agree that the D700 might have killed a few D300 and D3 sales, but was that necessarily a bad thing? They still bought Nikon. Models overlapping each other is not a baf thing in my opinion, it ensures that a customer has a wider pool of object to purchase from.
When they are clearly defined and not overlapping, it is easier to find a competitors model more enticing, 5dII vs D300/D3, which would you choose as a prosumer?

Anyway, as a D700 owner, I would love an upgrade based on D500/D5 :)

Merco_61

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Peter Sundstedt Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 09:29:53 »
We can but dream. 

The D700 was too dammed good for its time and it almost certainly robbed Nikon of D3 and even D3s sales.

Sadly I doubt if Nikon will make the same mistake again.

If there had been a D700s and after that a D800 split into standard and x, it would have become a segment in it's own right. The ability to leave the grip in the bag or at home when it isn't needed was a great feature to many of us who didn't need the D3 speed all the time and could do without the larger buffer. At least for me, it wasn't a question of economics but rather ergonomics that made me buy the D700 instead of a D3. With the larger production numbers, the D700 probably had a similar margin for Nikon so there wasn't that big a loss either.
Peter Sundstedt

—Machina fotografica necesse est—