Author Topic: Photography dabbler in Oakland, California  (Read 3671 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Photography dabbler in Oakland, California
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:54 »
Great new entry. Tristin. Look. Read. Post. Ask. Answer. Meet.

There are so many Californians now I feel you could have your own local meetup soon.

Welcome

Frank .... drums and singing
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 00:10:34 »
I don't see a problem with that. Welcome from further down the coast.
You make your own long scale 6 strings? Tell us more, got any pictures?
I've always wanted to try out a baritone guitar, like a Fender VI, but have yet to do so.

After the first guitar I made was stolen, I decided to make a second.  While browsing bridge options, I noticed Kahler was making an 8 string bridge available.  I figured that wasn't gonna last long at all and end up being a forgotten quirk (of course 8 strings later exploded haha), so I decided to make a 27.5" 8 string for fun.  After years of playing it, I removed 2 strings (high B and E) as I never used them and ended up with a 27.5" 6 string with a giant neck.  I decided to make a long scale 6 string, now 28", for ergonomic reasons.  Still carving away at the body, I like using a rasp to carve it by hand.  Am extremely time consuming task when the guitar is made out of solid Wenge and Purpleheart.  I swear, it is like sanding concrete.  Maybe worse.  My guitar is typically tuned to F Ab Db Ab Db Gb.  If you enjoy playing rhythm and have no concerns about missing the high notes, go for it. 
-Tristin

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:30 »
Hi Tristin, welcome to NG, already enjoyed some of your images in your other topics.

Btw, would you be so kind to add your first name to your signature so that those whom missed your intro know whom they are talking to :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 04:42:28 »
Ah, yes!  Thanks.
-Tristin

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 05:30:59 »
Welcome to the forum, Tristin.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:43 »
Welcome to NikonGear! ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 10:39:04 »
After the first guitar I made was stolen, I decided to make a second.  While browsing bridge options, I noticed Kahler was making an 8 string bridge available.  I figured that wasn't gonna last long at all and end up being a forgotten quirk (of course 8 strings later exploded haha), so I decided to make a 27.5" 8 string for fun.  After years of playing it, I removed 2 strings (high B and E) as I never used them and ended up with a 27.5" 6 string with a giant neck.  I decided to make a long scale 6 string, now 28", for ergonomic reasons.  Still carving away at the body, I like using a rasp to carve it by hand.  Am extremely time consuming task when the guitar is made out of solid Wenge and Purpleheart.  I swear, it is like sanding concrete.  Maybe worse.  My guitar is typically tuned to F Ab Db Ab Db Gb.  If you enjoy playing rhythm and have no concerns about missing the high notes, go for it. 

Hi, Tristin, for whatever reason, I missed your post quoted above.

Great pieces of work!  Recently I modified my Ibanez 5st bass with a neck made of Wenge just slightly, and realized how hard this wood was!  So, I'm just floored your work on the hardwood.  Both guitars looks perfect for your music.  Given the tuning of these guitars, you wouldn't need a bass player.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 19:56:19 »
Thanks Akira.  I always find the yardest way to accompliish something, it is something my band mates know me for haha!  We still would love a bassist.  I have plenty of deep lows, but none of the low mid punch that a bass brings.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 20:13:36 »
Thanks Akira.  I always find the yardest way to accompliish something, it is something my band mates know me for haha!  We still would love a bassist.  I have plenty of deep lows, but none of the low mid punch that a bass brings.

Yes, an artist will always choose the harder/hardest way if he/she makes any choices.  Good point on the difference of the frequency ranges that a guitar and a bass can offer.  Thanks for the note.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira