Author Topic: Streets of Kanpur  (Read 8540 times)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
Streets of Kanpur
« on: December 18, 2015, 15:15:13 »
Kanpur, one of the large cities in northern India which is not like any other metro city at all. During British era Kanpur was known as the "Manchester of India" due to the abundance of cotton mills. This city, established in 13th century, ruled by numerous kings and nawabs, now fights hard for its own existence. All the cotton mills, the backbone of the city’s traditional economy, have been wiped out and the remaining industries are in their last stages of survival.

I was there for 1.5 days only, for work. Photo opportunities were unlimited. I will surely go back there again some day.

Parts of the city is very rustic, unruly. Public hygiene level is very poor. But in-spite of that I was amazed with the amount of life this city. I hope below photos show glimpse to that "life".

#1. On our way to Kanpur we stopped at a local food-stop for fast food and chai. Tea and chai are synonymous in this part of the country.

#2. People and shops still use coal ovens everywhere... That stuff on fire is dried cow-dung. Helps charcoal to burn faster.

#3. Paan shop. (Paan = betel leaves prepared with stimulant)

Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
Re: Streets of Kanpur
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 15:29:47 »
More street-food in the evening, after reaching Kanpur:

#4. No, he wasn't posing at the camera.

#5.

#6.

#7. Red sign (on left) says - "please collect token first". Owner of some of these shops sit somewhere, you pay him money, collect token and then get your food.

Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 16:26:05 »
#8. Wool. Moms and grannies still knit sweaters, rather than buying ready-made.

Anirban Halder

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 16:43:25 »
Sometimes I wish we had 3-D systems that also could record smell and sound in addition to the image itself :D

Having seen a couple of Indian film I can just imagine the holistic ambience of the street scenes you show us. Do bring them on. They are a welcome contrast to what we encounter in our part of the world.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 16:47:32 »
I agree ;)

Very impressive colorful and atmospheric overview, Anirban !!

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 18:40:28 »
Sometimes I wish we had 3-D systems that also could record smell and sound in addition to the image itself :D

Having seen a couple of Indian film I can just imagine the holistic ambience of the street scenes you show us. Do bring them on. They are a welcome contrast to what we encounter in our part of the world.
Thank you for your kind and detailed comment, Bjørn. Yes, if something can record the aroma while taking the images, indeed that would be nice!  :)
Indian films are high on imagination; but yes, by and large they give a fair sense of street scenes.
Thank you again for encouraging. I will post more photos from this trip shortly. Hope some of them you will find interesting.

I agree ;)

Very impressive colorful and atmospheric overview, Anirban !!
Thank you John. Glad you liked them. If I ever post these street photos in b/w that would be injustice.  :)
Anirban Halder

Mike G

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 19:10:19 »
Anirban, the are all crackers.  ;) Especially the wool one!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 19:16:05 »
Makes me LONG to go there. The SMELL I miss and the TASTE. Great photpography. Thank you!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 19:23:02 »
Wonderful series, love the colors. It almost looks like there is plenty of food for everyone! ;)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 19:26:39 »
Anirban, lovely and colorful images!
Thank you for bringing the hectic and crowded world to us at NG!
Not only is it crowded by the amount of people, I find everything hectic and on top of each other, the food, the wool on the shelf, the architecture, everything is crowded :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 19:30:45 »
For some reason, this kind of street snaps by local people appears to be different from those shot by foreign journalists or tourists.  Possibly because the people in the images are more carefree.  Your images may prove that, and that is what makes your images valuable.

And, yes, I'd like to see more of the images of this kind.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 19:39:39 »
Anirban, the are all crackers.  ;)
Thank you Mike sir!  :)

Makes me LONG to go there. The SMELL I miss and the TASTE. Great photpography. Thank you!
If I can induce that emotion, I call it a successful day with the camera. Thank you, Frank!

Wonderful series, love the colors. It almost looks like there is plenty of food for everyone! ;)
Thanks Alex. Yes, it looks like. By end of the day/night, all gets over though. :)

Anirban, lovely and colorful images!
Thank you for bringing the hectic and crowded world to us at NG!
You are always welcome, Jakov! I was worried no one is gonna like this crowd. :)
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 19:43:00 »
Wedding is a big deal!
Strolling around after fast food, late evening, came across this "baraat". "Baraat" is traditional wedding procession - where groom goes to bride’s place, on horse. Relatives and acquaintances along the way go dancing, drinking with live music. The vehicle (full with fluorescent light) usually goes in the front - to show off and tell people that there’s a "baraat" on its way. Rich people - one or more Beamer/Audi in-front of horse, bigger band (live music), more booze.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11. Groom on horse.
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 19:56:29 »
For some reason, this kind of street snaps by local people appears to be different from those shot by foreign journalists or tourists.  Possibly because the people in the images are more carefree.  Your images may prove that, and that is what makes your images valuable.
That's huge appreciation, Akira. Thank you! On similar note: at one spot few guys ganged up against me as they were not sure if why I'm taking pictures. As if I caught them doing something illegal. I told them - I'm a tourist from Bangalore and I appreciate how lively this town is etc etc. Boosted their ego and they happily let me carry on. I was afraid to loose my camera for a moment there.  :)

#12.
Anirban Halder

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 20:02:53 »
That's a crowded bus, and I will not comment on the street sign above it :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen