Author Topic: San Francisco Fillmore District by night  (Read 1495 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
San Francisco Fillmore District by night
« on: December 17, 2015, 21:42:44 »

Nikkor 105mm 1.8 Ai-s @f/11

Excellent lens for night time cityscapes.  Maintains excellent contrast with lots of light sources shining into it and produces very dramatic starbursts.  Sharp all over as well.
-Tristin

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: San Francisco Fillmore District by night
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 22:01:17 »
Yes, the image looks clean as a whistle :)
(I would brighten the sky a bit)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 22:04:05 »
I think there was a night image with the same lens at f/11 posted earlier that showed the same performance?

Add a CPU to it and it's a perfect work mate for any Nikon camera for the foreseeable future.

Night sky can only be properly "brightened" when you shoot earlier in the evening. Apparently this was done too late so brightening would render the overall scene looking pretty strange.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 22:08:00 »
Jakov, I like to keep the image as true to the original scene as possible.  Bjorn is right, brightening it would make the picture look unnatural as this was taken around 1am.

Bjorn, I first became interested in trying the f/1.8 version when I saw the image you posted displaying it's spectacular starbursts.  Which was also at f/11, so must have been that one.  Was originally just going to go with the f/2.5 until I saw that post, thanks! 
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 22:22:24 »
Most night scenes require a tripod to be used anyway so stopping down the lens is just 'natural'. Rendition of point light sources improves as well.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 05:45:39 »
Bjorn, beyond being able to identify the lens used, what does chipping the lenses provide?
-Tristin

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:36:48 »
Very nice shot of a very familiar roadway that I used to travel often, years ago.  On the left is Japantown, a victim of the WWII relocation and internment of Japanese-Americans, and later of a 1960s-era urban redevelopment project that destroyed what was left of a historic ethnic district to create a modern and failed imitation.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:37 »
Very nice, clean shot Tristin. Love those starts!
FWIW - When I'm in US, I personally take night long exposure shots 20min after sunset, to get the best color of the sky. And that twilight sky only lasts for 5-8 minutes.
Anirban Halder

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:00:34 »
Bjorn, beyond being able to identify the lens used, what does chipping the lenses provide?

Ease of use. All possible shooting, metering, and program modes are available. The lens can be used on *all* available Nikon models be they low- or high-end models. Plus you get better and more consistent metering.

I initiated my comprehensive lens CPU project some ten years ago as a consequence of the above, plus spurred on by annoyance of not getting the full EXIF data when I did test shooting. The latter deficiency was really a problem for setting up and calibrating for my UV photography.

I must have modified hundreds of lenses over the years. Not counted the non-modified lenses at my disposal, but they probably are countable by one hand. Apart from one or two that I keep in their factory state for testing camera features, the remainder will meet their CPU fate sooner or later.