Author Topic: AA filter removal on D750?  (Read 9046 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
AA filter removal on D750?
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:17:11 »
Out of curiosity: is it possible to remove the AA filter of the D750? If so, what are the risks?

A recent article on the Leica Q (and the Sony RX1R) got me thinking. Both are 24MP cameras like the D750.
I saw 2 reasons mentioned on the web for including the AA filter in the D750:
1. the lower number of MP's increases the risk of moire compared to the higher MP camera.
2. video-recording artifcats

Wrt #1: Leica Q and RX1 are also 24MP. Obviously it is mirrorless vs mirror but does a mirror lead to higher risk of artifacts?
Wrt #2: I don shoot video so that is not a concern to me.

I have no immediate intentions to remove the filter but I was just curious.

Thanks.

PS: It may become a consideration when I add a Df instead of another camera.
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: AA filter removal on D750?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:24:10 »
Most cameras can be freed of their AA filter pack. Exception being those where the internal filter(s) are bonded to the sensor surface in such a way you need to remove the microlenses concomitantly.

You do get a slightly sharper image, but unless a compensating glass (to account for the change in sensor thickness) is added, there will be problems with infinity focus. Plus, the colour rendition of the camera is totally wrecked and you definitively need to shoot CC Passport or similar to build session colour profiles to avoid the major cast that occurs. Be aware that unless a new protective glass is added, cleaning and maintenance of the sensor itself can be fraught with difficulties.

In certain circles removing the internal filter(s) is said to make a "full spectrum" camera and you use them for recording in UV, IR, or inbetween depending on what filters you attach to the lens. Most cameras modified in this manner will use a replacement clear-glass filter over the sensor.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:08:27 »
Thanks Bjørn. That is very helpful!
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 13:53:22 »
T answer the initial question: D750 is listed as being capable of "full spectrum" modification by Lifepixel.com. Thus, you can indeed have its ICF (internal filter pack) removed, but with the caveats already mentioned.

I don't own a D750, but do use a D600 with the filter pack removed. So can verify image quality is improved compared to the stock unit.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 13:58:14 »
T answer the initial question: D750 is listed as being capable of "full spectrum" modification by Lifepixel.com. Thus, you can indeed have its ICF (internal filter pack) removed, but with the caveats already mentioned.

I don't own a D750, but do use a D600 with the filter pack removed. So can verify image quality is improved compared to the stock unit.

Thank you. Did you replace the AA filter by a clear glass filter?
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 14:03:20 »
For the D600, yes. A quartz type glass if I recall correctly.