Author Topic: Nikkor 28mm f/2 ai and ai-s  (Read 18839 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikkor 28mm f/2 ai and ai-s
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 22:54:13 »
I had the NC-Auto Aid. It was one of the sharpest and most reliable lenses I ever had.
But.
I do not like 28.
I love 35.
I love 24.
But 28 is kind of neither either.
Well that is just me.
There are lots of great 35 options and quite a few 24s.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 23:00:55 »
PS: If the 2.0 is what you aim for you might search for a decent 2.0/24. Grear lens if you hit a good sample. I sold mine after buying the 1.4/24G. Pity? I do not know. Lots of lens in a small package, but I am not a colllector and since my eyes are bad, AF works nice for me.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 23:14:08 »
Airy, thanks for that link!  Together with Bjorn, Mir and Roland's pages it will serve me really well.  I love finding pages like these! :D

I will be looking for an Ai version it seems, thanks to all for the prompt and insightful help.  :)

Frank, while I would prefer slightly wider than 28mm I haven't found an alternative ~f/2 at a price I can afford currently.  The f/1.4s and f/1.8s are pricier, bigger, and I really enjoy the feel of the manual Nikkors.  If money was no barrier, I'd be giving the Zeiss 25mm f/2 a spin.  Someday perhaps.  :)
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 23:19:38 »
The total focus throw is the same for AI and AIS versions (120°) but the AIS obviously squeezes in a greater range so the focus throw at far and medium distances is less than the AI equivalent.

Late AIS 28/2 have the newer Super Integrated Coating (SIC), from about no 825xxx to the end of production. This coating is a light yellow-greenish color. Earlier Nikon Integrated Coatings (NIC) coatings were deep red/green/blue depending on the viewing angle. The AIS 28/2.8 had a similar change, compare the coatings. NIC:

I don't know how much difference the newer coating makes, the older coatings were already very good and the 28/2 is known for being resistant to flare.

Roland, thanks for the correction.  Yes, I meant "S"IC in my posts above.  Tristin, sorry for the confusion.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 00:43:33 »
The 28/2.0 AIS has always been one of my faves along with the AIS 35/1.4 & AIS 50/1.2 & AIS 50/1.8.

I have the 24/2.0 AIS and it is rather meh, imho. Not as sharp. Prone to that veiling flare thing at 2.0 while the 28 does not do that at 2.0. I don't think it is a sample thing because I've tried 2 of the 24/2.0. Granted, only two still does not make a large sample.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 00:58:24 »
Andrea, I am not going with the 24mm primarily because of it's flaring issue which I have heard much of.  Too bad.  :-\
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 01:16:53 »
Andrea, it took me nearly 10 years of searching before I found a perfect 24/2: meaning it is sharp, contrasty, and keeps flare well under control.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 01:22:07 »
Is yours a late serial number AIS 24/2? I wonder if the newer SIC coating made a difference?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:07 »
s.n. 213875 so is not amongst the very latest I presume.

I have tried quite a number of these 24/2 and most are just dull and bland.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:29 »
Bjorn, how does your good copy 24mm f/2 compare to the 28mm f/2s? 
-Tristin

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 07:00:02 »
Tristin: The new AF-S 1.8/24G is not in your budget?

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 07:33:50 »
Well I *could* afford it, but photography comes second to my band.  Which is even more expensive than photography  :'(  Even money aside, I really enjoy the feel of quality manual focus lenses.  Clicky aperature rings and buttery focus rings . . . mmmm!!!  :D  The process is just as important as the results for me.  When I can justify stepping above the costs that the Ai and Ai-s lenses currently demand, I will likely give some Zeiss glass a spin and see how that fares.
-Tristin

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:56 »
I see you buy a lot of lenses currently.

I can assure you that the 300 Euro I spent for the 4/200 Micro was very well invested in "Clicky aperature rings and buttery focus rings". The best thing about this lens is the way my subject snaps into focus, the precision I can apply through the long focus throws adds very much to the feel.

A great 2/24mm is difficult to find as Bjørn has experienced (I had a great one from the start), but at 200 Euro a pop you can sell it for the price you got it for anytime.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 11:36:58 »
Bjorn, how does your good copy 24mm f/2 compare to the 28mm f/2s?

Haven't shot them side by side, but if for some reason I should encounter spare time, they sit in front of me and beg to be taken out for a shooting session :D

I admittedly am tempted by the new 24/1.8 as well, despite it being 'G' and thus not optimal for the Df.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 12:18:37 »
A quick-and-dirty comparison shows the 24/2 has more field curvature in the near range and slightly less contrast than the 28/2, at least in the wide open setting. Provided they are properly focused, they otherwise appear pretty similar.

My impression is the 24/2 performs better than the 28/2 when stopped far down. Sometimes one needs to use a wide-angle lens in that manner too.

One of my all-time favourite captures with the 24/2 in fact was conducted with the lens at f/22;

(Altschlossfelsen formation in Germany, near the French border. The sandstone formation is 250 million years old, from Trias)