Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

AF-S Nikkor 24-70/2.8: impact injury

(1/5) > >>

stenrasmussen:
So I have this lens that's taken a hit in the front. Previous owner glued up the broken filter threaded front but that was not it. The lens suffers from some kind of lens misalignment. I took off a couple of the front elements to see if the issue was there. Nope. I did find an odd hex-headed screw in there demonstrating that someone had tried a repair. Not was the head wrong, the threads were of the wrong sort as well. I found a better match in my selection of lens screws but not the exact right one. After reassmbly the lens i still soft on the left side so another opearion is needed. This time I'll attack the rear end.

Bjørn Rørslett:
Sten: with a complex lens such as this you need to be extremely careful. The problem might be misaligned internal elements and that requires an optical bench to adjust. You stand the risk of making the lens worse. Give it to a qualified repair shop.

stenrasmussen:
I know Bjørn. I won't attempt to get further in than the "easy" rear-most elements. The lens was offered to me for basically a song but I haven't decided to take it or not.

bobfriedman:
the 24-70/2.8 AFS has also had a history of the screws loosening on the helicoid disabling the zoom... new 80-400 as well.

Bjørn Rørslett:
Be aware that this lens, like other pro-calibre Nikkors, has a special construction in the rear that is designed to break away if the lens is impacted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version