Author Topic: What vintage lenses do you recommend for Df?  (Read 28729 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: What vintage lenses do you recommend for Df?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 14:10:58 »
Back to Peter's question:

the AF version of the 20/2.8 is not better optically than the AIS, has a noisy screwdriver-type AF, manual focusing is imprecise, and is very plastic-feeling all over. It simply lacks all the qualities you would wish for a Df lens.

A good-performing sample of the 24/2 AIS works well on a Df, but is not easy to locate. I found one after years of testing. The f/2.8 model is OK, but lacks pizzazz.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 14:13:24 »
Then peter, I have difficulties advising on a non Nikon lens.
No CO 60mm and CV 125mm, unless you would like to go the unorthodox route and acquiring a Heligon or Zenit :D

(although I am certain that there are plenty Zeiss and Sigma lenses out there)

Perhaps I can move to Norway? I admit that the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125mm (I had to check that one is casually called CV 125) is one of my dream lenses. No, I won't start about the Zeiss 135 f2 apo sonnar this time.

Thanks for the addtl clarification(s)
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 14:15:37 »
No Peter, don't move to Norway!
In Norway the lenses get broken.
In Denmark they get fixed :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 14:19:46 »
No Peter, don't move to Norway!
In Norway the lenses get broken.
In Denmark they get fixed :)

Ah. So I buy in Norway but live in Denmark? ;-)

I must say that the posts about kens repairs and adaptations Did open a new world for me!
Peter

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 14:19:54 »
I like to add the Nikkor 85/1.8 (K),  Nikkor Micro 55/3,5 (1963 model) and Nikkor 50/1.4 auto (1969)  to the above mentioned list

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 14:50:04 »
I do not have many but so far I really enjoy the 135 f2.8 Q (factory Ai'd) more than the 135 f2.8 Ais.   I have not made up my mind between the 105 2.5 Ai and the Ais.  I prefer the 28 f2 Ai to the Ais.   The 85 1.4D gets more use and I've not had the DC105 f2D long enough to really see what it is best at.   Funny, I've used it more on the Sony a7II, as MF, than the Df but that will change with the Christmas function and party season soon upon us.

I tried quite hard to find the C/V 125 2.5 Lanthar  and did find one in India, but just more than I wanted to spend.  I'm now looking at the C/V  APO Lanthar 90 3.5 for either the Df or a7II.   The Leica mounts , particularly the LTM, are easier to find than the Nikon F and cheaper.  I finally put the idea of the Zeiss ZF.2 135 f2 behind me, just too heavy to MF (for me)  :( . A friend keeps trying to sell me a 135 f2 Ais....

Lots of fun for the Df with the added fun of different manufacturers/mounts for the a7II  ;)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 14:58:36 »
Just to add what I see is obviously missing so far;

Nikkor 180mm ED 2.8 Ais needs no introduction, so impressive optics, not a Df man myself but as far as I can tell most likely the longest/largest lens to use, finally found one again for my D3X and D200 IR...

I believe that the 28mm 2.8 Ais is the one to get, not the 2.0 - depending on temperament I guess.

Micro Nikkor 105mm 4.0 Ais

If vintage is the look your after the 50mm 1.2 Ai has some more vigneting than the Ais.

Life teaches us; Don't let the looks fool you -  Coastal Optics 60 and Voigtlander APO 125 build quality is OK for normal use, both are victims of long extension so use with care...  :o  ::)  ;D

Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 15:55:16 »
The CV125 is truly a joy to own and use, somehow the stars aligned in 2014 allowing me to source a brand new copy in Canon EF mount for the €600 it was initially sold for.

From the outside the build quality is top notch which can't be said about the internal mechanics which need regular maintenance when used in the field professionally. As the first user of this lens combined with being a simple amateur whom uses his lenses only few times a year while travelling the globe mine should last me until the end of days.

In case it does fail our residential lens doctor can patch it up again as he has done with several copies over the years, including modding a Canon version to a Nikon mount ;D

And it looks so damn sexy on my little Trinitron camera

iPhone 5 with Hipstamatic photo app
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 16:55:25 »
My take: Nikkor 105/2.5 (I confirm Bjørn's theory), 50/1.2, 28/2, 20/3.5 UD despite its weaknesses. Also 180/2.8 AIS, despite weight and size. 50/1.4: not initially my favorite, but I am changing opinion.
Zeiss: 35/2, esp. For Night photography
Voigtlander: 40/2, also 58/1.4
500/8 reflex more usable with Df than with any other camera.

35/1.4 AIS also quite interesting but more difficult to find; I could only shoot some test pics.
Noct seems overpriced; I had several opportunities to buy one but never made the jump.

the PC 28/3.5 is a bit expensive, esp. Considering its average performance, but it is well built, fun to use and a good teacher in slow photography. The PC 35/2.8 is usually cheaper and optically better, but less 'creative'. If you like that FL, go for it.
Airy Magnien

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 18:54:02 »
I really appreciate your advice!! The list in my spreadsheet is getting longer. ;-)

What about the 75-150/3.5 zoom?
Peter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 19:04:28 »
Peter, if you are interested a longer lens, I would recommend Ai or Ais 400/5.6 IF ED.  I had a good experience with it on D610, so I'm pretty sure it performes nicely on the lower-res Df, which should be confirmed by Bjørn.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 19:09:01 »
Peter, if you are interested a longer lens, I would recommend Ai or Ais 400/5.6 IF ED.  I had a good experience with it on D610, so I'm pretty sure it performes nicely on the lower-res Df, which should be confirmed by Bjørn.

Thanks Akira. but 135 will probably the maximum I am looking for. I want to use the Df and the vintage lenses primarily for documentaries and series. If I need to go longer than 135 I will probably use my AF telelenses. But I've made a note! Thanks!!
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 19:12:37 »
Put the 50-135 Zoom-Nikkor on your list as well.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 19:31:26 »
Any of the many 'normal class' lenses (ie. 45 to 58 mm) should be considered as well. Do note that most of them, except the elusive Noct-Nikkor, can rendered the out-of-focus background on the harsher side. Either the 50/1.2 AIS or the latest 50/1.4 AIS is better in this regard. Besides, they are very sharp lenses when stopped down a little. The 50/1.2 has more temperament and might need to be kept on shorter reins than the f/1.4.
If the 50/1.2 is too expensive, consider the AI 50/1.8 or early AIS 50/1.8 (long nose) - both have the same optics. They are very sharp and the bokeh is better than the optics used in the 50/1.8 series-E / AIS New / AF / AFD variants. Bokeh is relatively smooth centrally but becomes a little harsher towards the edges.

For the Df there is plenty of good glass to choose from:
  • AI 20/3.5 - amazingly small for the focal length, and pretty resistant to flare.
  • K 28/3.5 (AI converted) - sharp and resistant to flare. Big front element vignettes easily when using filters
  • K 24/2.8 (AI converted) - not used much since I had 20 and 28mm, seems to be sharp with nice rendition but green flares when shooting into the light.
  • AIS 28/2.8 - no barrel distortion, great if you are into wideangle closeups
  • AI 28/2 - a bit soft and low contrast wide open, but very sharp stopped down and resistant to flare
  • K/AI 35/2.8 (early) - sharp, compact and low distortion, bokeh is average
  • AI 35/1.4 - a character lens at wide apertures, extremely sharp stopped down
  • AI 50/1.8 - talked about this already
  • AIS 85/2 - compact and fast short tele. AI version focus throw is too long. Bokeh is not quite as smooth as the 105/2.5 but it's otherwise an excellent lens
  • AI 105/2.5 - classic portrait lens
  • E 100/2.8 - great if you want the smallest, lightest possible telephoto. Contrast is lower than the 105/2.5 due to simpler coatings and bokeh not as smooth but otherwise surprisingly good
  • AI 135/3.5 - very sharp even wide open, bokeh is average. AIS version has shorter focal throw and shorter built-in hood. Older K 135/3.5 with different optics is also very sharp - very similar smooth rendition to 105/2.5, but the 1.5m close focus limits its usefulness
  • AIS 135/2.8 - used this for many years as a compact alternative to 80-200/2.8 zooms. Maybe lacking in sharpness a bit wide open but otherwise excellent, and rendition is very nice. The older pre-AI versions also have a good reputation but minimum focus of 1.5m is restrictive
  • E 75-150/3.5 - One of my most used lenses - relatively small and fast for a telephoto, good sharpness, mostly good bokeh, and focuses close. Some samples have very lose zooming (zoom creep) but mine is still tight - I think the chrome ring version is a little better in this regard.

I don't often use longer lenses very often, 150mm is about as big as I want to carry, and as long as I can hand-hold comfortably. Although the Df can accept pre-Ai lenses, usage will be  much easier if the lens is AI converted.

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 20:01:29 »
Regretfully I have owned and sold the AIS 135/3.5 and 75-150/3.5 when leaving the film cameras behind. There were both excellent.
Not sure about the prices in Europe but here these lenses used to be almost give away just a few years ago. Not so much anymore, what one could get for $30 - $60 is going for $150 to $500 these days!