Author Topic: What vintage lenses do you recommend for Df?  (Read 28898 times)

chambeshi

Re: What vintage lenses do you recommend for Df?
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2016, 11:10:20 »
And to the above lists, additional to the 105 f1.8...
One lens is considered to be mandatory: a 105 mm f/2.5 from the late '70s is simply a 'must'. I said this before but bears repetition: the optical engineers of the 105 must have unconsciously known that the Df eventually would emerge and designed the lens accordingly. The 105 and the Df are synergetic. They are made for each other.
So this late 1970s model 105 complements the Nikkor-PC Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm ?

Should not the 80-200 4.5 AI and 80-200 AIS also make the list of exemplary zooms to pair with the Df? Among so much of the material on NikonGear i have learnt a great deal from the thread on these solid zooms.

Based on accolades I’ve read, there are also 2 FLs of Nikon’s classic ultra-wides, namely the 18 f3.5 AIS and 20 f4 AI/AIS (1977-1984). There’s a recent thread on the latter….

Cannot wait to engage with a Nikon Df paired with some of these classics! :-)

thank you for sharing all these nuggets of experience and wisdom

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2016, 12:16:41 »
There are nearly limitless number of candidate Nikkors. Some fade from memory after not being used recently. This reflects more the human mindset and functionality than their optical excellence per se.

The change of the 105/2.5 optics  to the newer 'gauss' configuration and soon thereafter, introduction of multi-coating, made the 'K' and AI versions of this old Nikkor classic into terrific performers. More bang for the buck as our friends across the pond would call it. My preference is for the AI as it has very precise focusing and lovely handling on the Df. The 'K' is optically more or less identical except for having f/32 as its minimum aperture. Either version is a first choice companion for any df.

I never was a fan of the 18/3.5, but it admittedly does function pretty well on the Df. However, in this focal class I am partial to the 18/4 both for its gentle optical 'drawing' with pastel colours and its nice handling and excellent workmanship. the 18/4 is excellent when shooting into strong light sources too (provided its front is immaculate, but that can be said for all wide lenses). It also has low geometric distortion as far as wide angles go. An example is presented below.

Regarding the zoom lenses, the 80-200 f/4.5 is not bad, but again I never felt it to be excellent with the Df, just merely very good. The same goes for the f/4 model, but it has better performance at the widest apertures, at least evaluated from my copies of these lenses (I have several of the f/4.5s). I'm sure protests will be heard regarding this description of these two zoom Nikkors, but never mind. If one is pleased with either lens, by all means use it extensively and ignore my comment. The impressions of such lenses are never to be regarded as set in stone.

Chayelle

• NG Member
  • Arkansas USA
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2016, 22:11:06 »
Beautiful shot, Bjorn     :)
Cheryle
He Is!

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2016, 23:00:31 »
Some inspiring photos here. Owning a Df myself I am really happy with the output and feel of the images. As to lenses to use, one of my Df favourites (not mentioned yet) is the mid 1970's Vivitar 70-150mm f//3.5 'close focusing'. I was out in the garden today with it and for the price they sell at (mine was £2 in mint condition) completely belies the quality of the lens. Only one warning - don't put the sun in the frame as it will flare.

Here are three on the Df.