Author Topic: Nikon Lens Barrel Wobble  (Read 2327 times)

KevinC

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Lens Barrel Wobble
« on: December 02, 2015, 21:41:15 »
I recently returned from my first and probably last safari to Southern Africa.  While there, I noticed that the outermost barrel component of my Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D will wobble up to 2-3mm when in use.  This is the barrel piece that contains the limit switch and the focus distance window.  The lens elements remain fixed, so no worries there, although a filter, if used, might be out of proper plane.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  If it's repairable, is it worth it?  I got the lens used for $550 USD some years ago and it has served well.

If anyone wants a safari report on how affordable it can be, reply here and I'll start another thread.  I haven't had time to check the pictures yet, but I'm hoping for three or four keepers.

Thanks.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon Lens Barrel Wobble
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 22:05:14 »
Probably the groove for the locking bayonet pin that is getting worn. This is a fairly heavy lens and as far as I can recall, the  bayonet mount lacks the stainless steel insert seen on most long lenses of newer design.

If the wobble increases to the extent that the lens loses contact with the camera, the lens mount should be replaced. Otherwise no need to be worried.

Do adhere to sound principles of mounting the lens, though. Always put the camera on the lens instead of the lens on the camera. That avoids the use of leveraged force you get when a heavy lens is clicked into its locked position.

If there is any consolation, wobbling due to slippage in the locking groove is not constrained to Nikon.

KevinC

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:48 »
Thanks, Bjorn.  I know you're an expert, so I must not have been clear.  The wobble is at the front end of the lens, where filters attach, not the mount.  Mount is solid.  I suspect that if this whole component was removed, the lens would still operate, although the limit switch and focus distance indicator would be gone.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:01:31 »
Oops, that's an entirely different situation for sure. Problem likely is with the guide rails in the helicoid or zooming enclosure. Screws might have to be examined for wear or tightened. Let a qualified repair shop have a look at it.