Author Topic: Progressively Tighter Focusing Rings  (Read 3588 times)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Progressively Tighter Focusing Rings
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:54:10 »

Many of you, like Mongo, love and can’t part with some of the better and older manual lenses. Depending on their construction, many would have a helicoid system manipulated by the focus ring to achieve focus. Many of you, like Mongo, may have had the lens “repaired” when the focus ring became too hard or uncomfortable to turn.

One particular lens Mongo has this problem with is the 85mm f1. 4 AI-s. It has also started to happen to the 55 mm f2.8 AI-s macro. Some might say sell the lenses and replace them the more modern equivalents OR simply use the lenses more often to try and slow down the stiffening process within the lens.  Mongo is not fussed with the 55mm and can replace it with a newer 60mm for 85mm macro. However, that is not a desirable or viable solutions for the 85mm AI-s (and possibly other lenses too). Like some special vintage cars, some lenses have their own quality and appeal that is worth preserving and enjoying for as long as reasonably possible. Not everything is about sharpness or VR or AF speed etc.

This issue has probably arisen before and there are now many different lubricants that have been developed and used over the last 3 decades. The information about these is not consistent or specific enough to know which is the correct/best choice at present. Taking the lens to Nikon to have it re-greased may only produce the same result as previously.

Mongo’s question is about asking if there are any modern substances/grease that can be used to “re-grease” the lens that will really last and not have to be cleaned off and reapplied with unfortunate regularity ?? OR maybe there is no such substance and all will require to be changed - some later than sooner.

Mongo would be grateful for any advice from members who may know about this and particularly from those who have had actual experience and results that may narrow down the choices/answer.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Progressively Tighter Focusing Rings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:01:15 »
Depending on the type of use of course the grease on the old Nikkor lenses only needs to be replaced every 20-30 years or so when using the proper grease.

Like Erik, aka Doctor Lens, I use this slippery stuff:
http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Greases-Oils/Grease-Helical-10-Light-8ml.html

This grease is so eager to do its thing that the container it comes in can't contain it properly so I double bag it with two zip bags to make sure it doesn't leak all over the rest of my maintenance kit ;D

I use a combination of ear sticks and my fingers to apply a thin layer, because of the white color you can easily see where it is applied properly and which spots need a little extra.

Doing the maintenance on these lenses is pure fun though I seem to develop a beef with the microscopic set screws, on a friends 85/1.4 I threw it away thinking it was a dust particle and a few weeks ago with a lens from Chris Dees I shredded one while assembling the lens locking the lens completely (and of course not in the right configuration).

So for now I'm cured fixing other people lenses :-\
Cheers,
Jan Anne

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:53:37 »
Depending on the type of use of course the grease on the old Nikkor lenses only needs to be replaced every 20-30 years or so when using the proper grease.
Except for the grease originally placed by Nikon at the time of manufacture...ha..ha...ha.  That stuff, on certain lenses, the 55/2.8 among them, often evaporated in a few years in our warmish, dry 34º latitude, Mediterranean climate.
Mongo, I owned a 55/2.8 for about 20 years, and the 85/1.4 Ais for about 5 years.  My 85 was smooth and I never needed to have it re-greased.
In these lenses, as in most of the manual focus lenses, you may specify to the lens technician which grease you want it to be re-lubed with.
I almost always ask for grease that is one or two 'notches' stiffer than the usually-thin OEM grease.
Others have different preferences.
There is no reason your 85/1.4 Ais can't focus with the stiffness or looseness you want...it is all a matter of communicating with the shop, and preferably the actual person, that will do the job.
Both copies of the 55/2.8 that I had were rickety, wobbly affairs that I had greased with extra stiff grease to minimize the flex of the barrel when extended.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:04 »
The stuff that JA suggest is the one to get.

If you use the more heavy types the focus will feel very... heavy
Especially on the Micro Nikkors since they have so long helicoils.
Erik Lund

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 21:13:48 »
thank you all for your kind advice. It seems unanimous about the choice of grease so Mongo will invest in some and revitalise the affected lenses. This has possibly been the most definitive answer Mongo has seen to the question

JA , like Mongo, it is not a good Idea that we give up our day jobs to become infamous lens surgeons. Mongo does it the other way round - he offers to fix already dead lenses for friends.  That way if he saves them and bring them back to life, he is a hero. If they remain dead, he provides a free burial service (after salvaging any rare and still usable body parts) for possible future transplanting or Frankensteining ;D

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 21:31:34 »
That was the case with the 85/1.4 I fixed, a friend bought it for 300 euros and after the fix it doubled in price leaving me with a nice bottle of Laphroaig (the preferred whisky of the NG crew).

The lens was in very bad condition mechanically as the former owner kept using the lens while the grease was completely dried up which increased the friction to the level where the two small guide plates loosened with each turn to the point they were completely loose.

So with some new grease and tightening up all the parts again the lens was like new again, and thanks to Bjørns contacts and some Dutch chocolate a new set screw was sourced from Nikon Nordic to make up for my little lap of judgement  ;D

Cheers,
Jan Anne

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 23:54:09 »
That was the case with the 85/1.4 I fixed, a friend bought it for 300 euros and after the fix it doubled in price leaving me with a nice bottle of Laphroaig (the preferred whisky of the NG crew).

The lens was in very bad condition mechanically as the former owner kept using the lens while the grease was completely dried up which increased the friction to the level where the two small guide plates loosened with each turn to the point they were completely loose.

So with some new grease and tightening up all the parts again the lens was like new again, and thanks to Bjørns contacts and some Dutch chocolate a new set screw was sourced from Nikon Nordic to make up for my little lap of judgement  ;D

That is a good new story JA. One of the things Mongo likes best about your story is that it also confirms that great food and drink treats are still the universal currency for these things. ;D

It also tells Mongo to get on with fixing the 85mm before it gets too tight and causes damage as you have described

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:36:21 »
You might want to use a tiny drop of Nyoil applied with an insulin syringe...

https://www.lubekits.com/?load=nyoil

http://www.amazon.com/Lubricant-Oil-Shutter-100gram-Nyoil/dp/B000B600L2

You would apply it in a drop about the size of a grain of millet, work it in very well. Repeat only if necessary. You want to be very conservative as you can't remove any if you add too much. This is what a friend who's a camera repairman told me. I guess if you add too much you'd have to strip and re-lube the lens. I did this to a 135/3.5 AI Nikkor before giving it to a high school my cousin's husband taught at.

Best,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!