Author Topic: "Soft" shutter releases  (Read 4051 times)

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
"Soft" shutter releases
« on: November 29, 2015, 20:21:47 »
So, I see that Nikon does a soft shutter release, the AR-11, and many others are available - does anyone here use one? Looking for info of use on the Df, but all opinions welcome
TIA
John

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: "Soft" shutter releases
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 21:32:10 »
I had a soft release for one of my Dfs some time ago, but it was quickly lost  and didn't bother replacing it.

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 23:29:07 »
Cheers, I did wonder if that might happen, and you have to take it out to use a cable release too
J

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 23:48:34 »
Cheers, I did wonder if that might happen, and you have to take it out to use a cable release too

Probably depends on the actual model. The one I used had to be removed if a cable release would be used. Which likely hastened its demise.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 23:56:45 »
I use a Thumbsup bug or AR11 interchangeably. Unlike the Nikon ASC01 which is nice but probably just bling, the soft release does make seem to change the actual shot taking. I'm not sure why it makes a difference but the added height does improve the shutter triggering.

You have to unscrew it to use the cable release - if I'm at risk of using the cable release, I leave it at home!

There are plenty of other soft releases available on eBay - some very cheap, but the lacquered Thumbsup are very beautiful.

http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/Beep.aspx

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:29:57 »
I had one on the Df but lost it.  When I first got the Df my finger was having trouble finding the shutter release  :( so the raised soft button made it easier  :) .  Gradually my finger went to the release immediately so when I lost it I didn't worry about replacing.  My wife uses them on the EM1s since she likes the looks  ;)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 16:52:58 »
Did use and enjoy the Nikon AR-1 Soft shutter release on the Nikkormat FTN and Nikon F2AS, never equipped any other body with a similar gadget
Wolfgang Rehm

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 17:12:45 »
The AR-1 could be tightly screwed down because it used the sturdy outer threads of the release button. Wish Df had a similar arrangement. Alas, it has the flimsy conical-tip cable release so any "soft" release would have to be removed to insert a cable. Meaning the soft release thingie can be expected to have a short longevity before it disappears forever. My prior estimate was 1 week and in fact, it had disappeared by Day 5.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 17:49:53 »
The AR-1 could be tightly screwed down because it used the sturdy outer threads of the release button. Wish Df had a similar arrangement. Alas, it has the flimsy conical-tip cable release so any "soft" release would have to be removed to insert a cable. Meaning the soft release thingie can be expected to have a short longevity before it disappears forever. My prior estimate was 1 week and in fact, it had disappeared by Day 5.
word!
Wolfgang Rehm