Author Topic: Anyone know where to buy these?  (Read 4632 times)

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Anyone know where to buy these?
« on: November 27, 2015, 03:37:13 »
I bought this a while ago (from B&H, I think). It is useful for hand holding heavier lenses with lens collars. I want to buy a second, but have had no success in searching for one - unfortunately, I don't know how to name/describe it. Any help appreciated.

Mike Selby - Sydney

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Anyone know where to buy these?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 21:25:16 »
I don't know the name or where to get it either, but have you tried google image search to see if it comes up with anything useful?
Hans Cremers

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 21:49:40 »
Difficult to find indeed. There is something like an extra pistol-grip which can be attached as well and might work for the desired purpose   http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Platform-Pistol-Camera-Handle/dp/B00REG9WDE/ref=pd_cp_421_1/176-7651411-7690048?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K8BQ4Z2A4RHFBVD0NAP

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 22:20:14 »
Would a screw in tip for the ends of coffee table legs suffice?  A hardware shop may be able to help you (and at a fraction of the price if they can find a suitable fitting).  If memory serves me correctly, such fittings use the same 1/4" coarse Whitworth thread as we have for camera tripod mounts.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 22:24:50 »
I think this is what is called "bottom grip".  Similarly looking products were offered from Kenko and perhaps Cosina/Voigtlander.  I've seen these at Yodobashi, but apparently both have been discontinued.  Kenko offers bottom grips of different shape (more like a bar), but unfortunately it won't suit your need here.

I searched in B&H, amazon.co.jp and dbay with no avail...

I bought an accessory part from RAM MOUNTS for the same purpose, but the diameter of the ball is much smaller (25mm).  Also, there is a hole at the bottm of the ball which would leave a circular mark on your palm after extended usage:

http://www.yodobashi.com/RAM-MOUNTS-%E3%83%A9%E3%83%A0%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88-ARAP-B-366U-RAMMOUNT-%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A2%E3%83%80%E3%83%97%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC/pd/100000001002919753/
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:52:41 »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Hans - I have googled variously for images of ball grips, bottom grips, hard rubber balls, etc., with little luck so far (although with some fascinating results).

John - thanks, I thought of a pistol grip, but want something to allow the weight of the lens to rest in the palm of my hand while I focus manually.

Hugh - the screw in legs could work - I will look into that idea first.

Akira - many thanks for your research. I have an idea that the grip that I have was a Manfrotto item, but apparently no longer available.

I will also look at gluing a 1/4" threaded shank into a golf ball. The golf ball will be easy enough to get, but I will need to rummage around Yodobashi Camera or a Tokyu Hand hardware store for the shank.

Mike.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:29:26 »
Found one in Australia, made by RAM Mounts with a 38mm ball and the correct thread. Made for camera support. Thanks Akira for putting me onto this manufacturer.
Mike Selby - Sydney

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:18:44 »
, with little luck so far (although with some fascinating results).

;D ;D ;D
Hans Cremers

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 16:25:06 »
Found one in Australia, made by RAM Mounts with a 38mm ball and the correct thread. Made for camera support. Thanks Akira for putting me onto this manufacturer.

Mike, I think this 38mm ball by RAM is a fascinating find on the more photographic side.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 01:22:44 »
Øivind Tøien

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 03:58:15 »
Mike, I think this 38mm ball by RAM is a fascinating find on the more photographic side.

Yes, it is really useful for hand holding long lenses whilst focusing manually and/or zooming.

Øivind - many thanks for that - great sleuthing! A Voigtlander Bessa bottom grip B. Has been out of production for some time.

I found some on a photography shop website in New York and ordered a couple, as I am always losing/misplacing things. Also found some in Sydney (but more expensive).

Mike.
Mike Selby - Sydney