Author Topic: Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens  (Read 10189 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens
« on: November 24, 2015, 17:39:39 »
As I haven’t seen a report on the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens yet o this site, I thought to share my impressions of the lens. The 35mm focal length has grown on me after adding the Fuji X 23mm lens and the X100T camera. I opted for the Sigma lens after the raving reviews.

My impression from one trip with this lens: the reviews are right. This lens is incredibly sharp, also wide open. It might be a tad softer in the corners but that’s hardly noticeable in photos Without having compared lenses in detail, I would say as sharp as the Zeiss 135mm APO lens and sharper than the Nikon lenses I own. I can’t find negatives about colors, tones, and contrast either. The only negatives are weight (for someone who prefers to travel light) and no-weather”proof”.

I know some people experienced performance issues but I have not.

Hopefully these photos give an impression about the quality of this lens (all photos with D750).

Feel free to add your photos in this thread!

Peter

Shane

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • BeyondVisible
Re: Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 20:28:00 »
Just returned my copy for exchange - soft  and excess coma.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 20:53:00 »
Nice images Peter, thanks for sharing.

Do you have more images which show the character of the boke wide open?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:43:13 »
Nice images Peter, thanks for sharing.
Do you have more images which show the character of the boke wide open?

Thank you. These are some other shots taken wide open (for some it did not make sense to do it but I just wanted to check the results). BTW: I see a lot more chroma in my Nikon lenses than in this lens. So apparently my experience differs from others. This lens is definitely a keeper for me. I've also read good things about the 24-35 art lens, which performs like a prime, but I find that one too big.

This one was at f2 and ISO11400:

Peter

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:48 »
It does look like a really nice lens indeed, thanks for posting ;)
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:14:51 »
Again great images and these perfectly show the viewer what a fast 35 can do, placing a subject in their (natural looking) environment but have enough DOF control to isolate them from their surrounding objects or other subjects.

The faster the lens the further away you can be from your subject to do the latter, any lens can generate a small DOF up close but faster lenses will provide just more room to play with. One can always use a longer lens to render the background out of focus but then the relation of the subject to its surrounding objects and subjects also changes, eg making things look like they are positioned closer to each other than they really are.

As mentioned before, some seek freedom in a zoom range of a zoomlens and other seek freefrom in a wider aperture range to play with. Neither is good or bad, just up to personal preferences. Of course one can bring both lenses and use the benefits of both type of lenses ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 13:00:15 »
I find the 35mm a versatile focal length. Perhaps on my next trip, I will only bring a 35mm and a 300mm and shoot everything with those 2 lenses. Shooting with one focal length is quite liberating as you start to see the world in that frame. I used to shoot with zooms in the past, but now have difficulty in using a zoom. Strange, isn't it.
indeed, the wide aperture helps me separate subjects without giving up the context.  I guess I am a bit of a subject-separation-snob.
Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 14:26:30 »
I'd like to see a comparsion between the AFS 1.8/35G (FX Version, not DX) and the ART which seems to be really very nice!

My "35" currently is the X100T. A complete camera the size of one of these lenses...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 14:42:31 »
I'd like to see a comparsion between the AFS 1.8/35G (FX Version, not DX) and the ART which seems to be really very nice!

My "35" currently is the X100T. A complete camera the size of one of these lenses...

I would be happy to do that. If only I owned a nikon 35mm...

I like the x100T a lot. I usually bring it on city trips and family gatherings. It's the only camera I've owned that attracts compliments of people.
I even like to take photos of the x100t. ;-)

Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 15:11:33 »
Some really nice images here Peter.
That Sigma looks really nice.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

stenrasmussen

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 15:49:14 »
I've owned the Sigma 35/1.4A and after testing the Nikkor 35/1.8GFX I'd say the Nikkor is no match for the Siggy.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 16:07:54 »
see also: https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-35mm-f1-8g-ed/3

They were very impressed with the sharpness of the nikon but found the Sigma to be superior in handling of distortion, vignetting, CA and bokeh.

They also have a review of the Sigma 35mm lens:
https://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-35mm-f1-4
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 16:11:06 »
Some really nice images here Peter.
That Sigma looks really nice.

Thank you, Jakov. You can always try mine, if you want.
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 16:21:58 »
Thank you, Jakov. You can always try mine, if you want.

It's too sharp for my taste, but thanks!  8)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

stenrasmussen

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 17:23:15 »
Jakov has a good point, sharpness is not everyone's cup of single malt. I have over a long period now tried and tested Tamron/Sigma/Zeiss/Nikkors and my next buy is the 58/1.4G (am waiting for the right candidate to surface). I had a go with the latest Milvus 50/1.4 but found it close to the Sigma 50/1.4 A...too "perfect".
For those seeking well corrected optics the latest Zeigmas are fantastic though and the 35 Art is certainly very good. If I were in the market for a new 35 the Sigma is one candidate. I tired the new 35/45 Tammies but did not like them that much (despite the class leading VC feature).
The pictures shown here are very good ambassadors for the topic'ed lens.