Author Topic: photographing art  (Read 9645 times)

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
Re: photographing art
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:41 »
i say the 2nd one is with glass, but would not bet on it
Thomas Stellwag

Intrepid

• NG Member
  • Rank Amateur
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 12:59:52 »
Flashes are generally banned from museums. Of course a couple of exposures by a pro will not cause much damage compared to thousands by anybody, but still : are there less "aggressive" sources in terms of spectrum ? (esp. UV)

Any recommended anti-UV filters for flashes under such circumstances ?

Personally I prefer to use daylight and show the art the way it was meant to be seen at the gallery, where zenithal light used to be the norm. But the coolish results may not please the beholder; color temperature correction is often needed.

Airy, Every speed light in the market comes with aggressive UV cut filters.  No UV is emitted.  One has go through a lot of pain to modify them for UV use.
Vivek Iyer

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 13:00:36 »
i say the 2nd one is with glass, but would not bet on it

You are right. It would have been more difficult if the first one would have been framed without glass. In the second one can still see the shadows of the frame if you look closely.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 13:07:04 »
Michael - I assume not all posters were in prestine condition - did you retouch?

Talking about frames - this was a real issue for me since there are shadows on the painting if you light with the lights facing one another and not 45 degrees to the painting - what to do?
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 13:30:13 »
Posters were unframed. Not much retouching was done. A little bit if there was a tear.

Posters were in various conditions. Here is a poster by Gary Grimshaw, a good friend of mind. He died recently I am sorry to say.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 15:53:06 »
Michael - I assume not all posters were in prestine condition - did you retouch? Talking about frames - this was a real issue for me since there are shadows on the painting if you light with the lights facing one another and not 45 degrees to the painting - what to do?

With continouus light you can set the shadows to more or less cancel out through overlap. With flash this procedure needs some more time to adjust
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 16:00:10 »
nice images Michael

Frank - I just could not get it right with the studio lights - no matter what we did - either highlights or shadows - pic one :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za