Author Topic: photographing art  (Read 9646 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: photographing art
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 11:20:15 »
Bjørn - 2 flashes - are you talking speedlights or studio lights? Excuse my ignorance
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 11:22:59 »
Bjørn this does work. Yes. It is my Wine Bottle Setup.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 11:26:25 »
ah cool - wine bottles - another challenging subject. care to share some pics and info?

Mine is so not what most people would like / want - but it has a market :)

141130 Richard stock 050 by elsa hoffmann, on Flickr
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 11:30:00 »
Bjørn - 2 flashes - are you talking speedlights or studio lights? Excuse my ignorance

Elinchrom studio flashes, usually with 135cm octagon softboxes, sometimes only the standard reflector. Never umbrellas, they tend to spread the light uncontrolled.
Bjørn Jørgensen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:32:57 »
Thanks for clarifying. I also use studio lights - as I have no clue how speedlight flashes work. Kind of hate them with a passion.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 11:34:04 »
Bjørn Jørgensen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 11:39:20 »
Light Science and Magic- indeed.

I have it in PDF format - 3rd edition.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 12:06:58 »
the glass is "Schott Mirogard", "True Vue", "Clarity" and others
you can google easily them and at Schott you will get also specs for their glass
most coatings are vacuum coated or sprayed. The vacuum versions are better and more expensive. They increase transmission by a significant margin,
but are all colour selective, so you will find f.e. in the Mirogard this typical green reflections of fluorescent lamps, Clarity is brown f.e.

Any glass surface doesn´t help you, because you might miss the focus by glass thickness  - normally 2-3mm, in case the image is directly behind the glass. If there is a mate board is is different, but you have double reflections, inside and outside and then finding very small structures through your viewfinder gets difficult.
I try to take the pictures out of the frame to make a photo.

Thomas Stellwag

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 12:41:25 »
I try to take the pictures out of the frame to make a photo.

Are you able to say which of my above repros is behind cheapo glass and which is not behind glass? Also consider the repros of the 200cm x 25cm I liked above
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 12:41:51 »
Can I attach a PDF?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 12:46:49 »
Try... ?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 12:52:48 »
does that work?

Seems to. But the bottles were not so nice (bad caps) I have hundreds of better shots somewhere in my backup

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 12:54:39 »
Flashes are generally banned from museums. Of course a couple of exposures by a pro will not cause much damage compared to thousands by anybody, but still : are there less "aggressive" sources in terms of spectrum ? (esp. UV)

Any recommended anti-UV filters for flashes under such circumstances ?

Personally I prefer to use daylight and show the art the way it was meant to be seen at the gallery, where zenithal light used to be the norm. But the coolish results may not please the beholder; color temperature correction is often needed.
Airy Magnien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 12:54:53 »
yup it works!

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 12:56:24 »
Photography Rock Posters

Some years ago I assembled what I am told is the largest archival database of concert rock posters, with measurements, commentary, and hi-res photographs of most posters, on the planet. I am not talking about the glossy commercial posters for different music artists, but the original dated posters that advertised the actual venue and concert itself.

I photographed some 33,000 hi-res poster images. To do this I built my own large vacuum table from pegboard (about 4-foot square) and hooked it to a large shop vac. It worked perfectly and was able to hold the posters flat, including the very tips of the corners.

I had two studio lights placed at 45-degree angles to the poster and shot using a tripod, the Nikon D1X, and the earlier version of the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. Each image, of course, had to be cropped, color corrected, and so on. Needless to say, this was not done in a day, but took years.

Aside from my own very large collection of rock posters, I was able to talk some of the best collectors in the world into sending me their rarest posters, which I then photographed.

My poster database will be featured at a major permanent installation in the near future dedicated to rock n’ roll posters.

The image shown here was very difficult to shoot. It was originally printed on a piece of acetate, and only a handful have survived. Worth a lot of money. This image is by the incredible poster artist Bob Fried, whom I consider one of the great artists of the San Francisco 1960s poster scene. Unfortunately, Fried died way too early. He produced some wonderful art, which this image illustrates.

For those interested in knowing more about Bob Fried, here is an interview that I did years ago with his wife Penelope Fried:

http://spiritgrooves.net/pdf/articles/Posters/Classic%20Posters%20Interview%20with%20Penelope%20Fried%20by%20Michael%20Erlewine.pdf

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com