Author Topic: What is a Stop Worth, and the Meaning of Life  (Read 120012 times)

Humboldt

• NG Member
Re: What is a Stop Worth, and the Meaning of Life
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2016, 12:37:30 »
I shot photos several times every week, but most often with my mobile camera, because that is the camera I always carry. Of course the technical quality canĀ“t match DSLR, but most of my photos are never printed and many will be sent to Instagram, and usually the quality is good enough. The best photos of mine is normally shot when I am doing something else. Like during bicycling, walking and climbing in mountains, during lunch when I leave the office for some food. Or when something happens in my ordinary life. There is a saying that the best camera is the one you do have at hand when you find something to shot. I have found out that, when I am hit by ambition - the ambition to shot "serious" photos - specifically - and I take my "serious" camera with me - it often just ends up in nothing and very boring photos. It is like the camera is standing between me an my ambition. So, nowadays, since I mostly shot during some other activities, I almost only use a mirrorless 4/3 camera - if not just using the smartphone. But even the mirrorless is to bulky to carry all the time, so I am actually considering something like a Sony RX100 or maybe a Nikon V3, but the later has received so much of negative criticism that I am unsure if it is worth buying.   

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2016, 17:58:45 »
Perhaps you can rent a V3 to try? They are rather clever little cameras but it takes a while to learn to use them to their best advantage. They are certainly easy to carry around on a cross-chest strap.

I once used the small Nikon Coolpix A (28mm fixed field of view) for a summer and had great fun with it. I put a toggle on it so that I could hang it on my belt loop for easy access. The RX100 would be easy to use like that so might be an excellent choice.

I like having the mobile camera always handy, but I get annoyed because it is so slow to start up. And it does not automatically return to shooting mode after making a photo. And I'm always touching the screen and triggering a response I do not want. I put the mobile cam onto voice control, but that method has its own problems. When in public on the street, it is not a good idea to be saying "shoot", "shoot" at one's mobile cam. That can be misinterpreted.

Humboldt

• NG Member
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2016, 11:02:54 »
When in public on the street, it is not a good idea to be saying "shoot", "shoot" at one's mobile cam. That can be misinterpreted.
:o  ;)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2020, 12:22:15 »

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2020, 21:21:07 »
I had to look twice at that one, but mine was done with different equipment.  Exif is wrong here, because I forgot to reset it.  It's really a 55/3.5 on a D7100 at unremembered aperture.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2020, 11:45:35 »
I had to look twice at that one, but mine was done with different equipment. 
It's really a 55/3.5 on a D7100 at unremembered aperture.

Nice version Matthew
Mine was done with a 300mm F4 PF about half an hour after the sun got above the trees

It was the sister shot to this (which probably doesn't strictly belong in "What's a stop worth" but hey!