Author Topic: BEWARE: UV Nikkor 105mm on ebay - tampered with / modified  (Read 13085 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: BEWARE: UV Nikkor 105mm on ebay - tampered with / modified
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 17:23:20 »
Well, Klaus, I think you did good. If you had not mentioned the mount addition to everyone, then the seller would not have put up the information about the forensic mount. Now that everyone is fully informed, they can make up their own mind. Who knows, it might be a good purchase for someone.

With an adaptor it could couldn't it easily be used on a Sony or Panasonic body?

EDIT:  Added the question mark.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 17:29:51 »
Well, Klaus, I think you did good. If you had not mentioned the mount addition to everyone, then the seller would not have put up the information about the forensic mount. Now that everyone is fully informed, they can make up their own mind. Who knows, it might be a good purchase for someone.

With an adaptor it could easily be used on a Sony or Panasonic body.

I'm not sure where you take your assumptions from, not even knowing how much that rear part protrudes and what it actually does optically. Please re-read what I have posted, I have just added a few more infos, especially on the possible selling price. It won't come cheap, that's for sure and with the "added benefit" of not knowing if it could be put back into original state. Remember: there are no original parts anymore at Nikon. I tried that a few times, but all is gone there, even at Nikon Japan.
formerly known as kds315

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 17:32:41 »
That was supposed to be a question not an assumption. You posted as I was making my edit. "-)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 17:46:25 »
That was supposed to be a question not an assumption. You posted as I was making my edit. "-)

With my very limited knowledge of English, wouldn't you have written then "With an adaptor could it be easily used on a Sony or Panasonic body?"  ;)

But anyway, he is currently conducting a test, so we'll know soon (if he does it correctly)...
formerly known as kds315

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 17:51:35 »
? Not sure what you are asking ? I did write exactly what you wrote ?
Please don't pick at me - I'm trying to support you.
oh well.......

Anyway, here is a patent link to one of the Sirchie devices: http://www.google.com/patents/US6636701
Perhaps someone can find something useful in that.

EDIT. oh foo & poo. dyslexia struck - i see what you mean. need to reverse words. i read it 50 times over and failed to see i did not reverse. sigh. i do not really have dyslexia, just sometimes we don't see what we write, right? sigh.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 23:57:01 »
Remember: there are no original parts anymore at Nikon. I tried that a few times, but all is gone there, even at Nikon Japan.

Really?  UV 105 is still in the catalog of Tochigi Nikon.  If I understand correctly, this is essentially a reproduction of the original UV-Nikkor.  The internal parts and/or construction might have been revised like the Ais 55/2.8, though.  Or, the optical elements might have been slightly redesigned to comply RoHS.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 10:55:56 »
Seller now added:

One of the people who commented on this who has the same lens said there has been an additional optic of some sort added to the rear of my lens which may have been for a specific use in the police forensic work.  Because of that when the lens is on a Nikon camera with no adapter the focus blocks at about a 5 meter setting.
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 11:23:07 »
he is currently conducting a test, so we'll know soon (if he does it correctly)...

Well, the optical properties of the lens have been significantly altered, the back focus is now around 90-110mm sellers reports,
so I guess some lens element(s) have been inserted. This also means, that

- no sharp image can be projected to a standard camera sensor as is.
- parfocaility UV-VIS-NIR has been destroyed, as most likely simple quartz lenses have been used for that (as this Sirchie RUVIS system was fur UV only)

Looking at the patent data (thanks Anfdrea!), this assumption seems to be valid, as the use of a mirror beam splitter demands a much longer optical path for that.
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 17:29:40 »
*** The seller pulled the auction listing ***
formerly known as kds315

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 16:33:21 »
Lens has been inspected by a knowledgeable service tech and indeed had an optical element
attached at the rear side, seemingly a quartz lens.

*** The lens has already been sold now ***
formerly known as kds315