Author Topic: [Theme] Show Birds  (Read 229245 times)

beryllium10

• NG Member
Re: [Theme] Show Birds
« Reply #840 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:10 »
For the last few years I've been enjoying watching and photographing a pair of splendid ospreys who nest nearby on Salmon Bay (in Seattle).  Shortly they'll head south for the winter, but for the last week or two they've been fishing from a tree near the Ballard Locks.  I think salmon were sparse earlier in the summer, but seem to have picked up a little recently, and the ospreys have been able to fatten up a bit for the long flight ahead.  Today the male was determined to get one of a shoal of big coho milling around the entrance to the fish ladder beside the Locks.  He dived five times while I watched, and was finally rewarded with a sizable fish.  After one of his unsuccessful dives he flew directly over me to return to his perch.  This is the best photo from that sequence - the first is almost the full frame, the second a crop to show him up close.  He's just been in the water, dripping wet, and no doubt a bit ticked off at having come up without his hoped-for dinner.
Taken with the AF-S 300 mm f/4 and TC-1.4, ISO 640 1/2000 at f/8.  Even with the D850's autofocus (I use AF-C, d9) I find I'm lucky if I get every second or third frame in focus when a bird is flying towards me and up close.  It's mostly my inability to follow the bird's motion with the focus point as it rides up and down with each wing beat, but I also find that this is the hardest scenario for the AF system to understand and react to - I tend to get a lot more focused claws and tail-feathers than beaks and eyes.  So this is a fortunate one. 
One fun thing for Nikon folk is to notice is that his eye seems to have a six-bladed iris - like some of those really old, classic Nikkors!  (Interestingly this shape, and the brown flecks in his iris, are real and persistent, a distinguishing feature of this particular bird).
Cheers,  John

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #841 on: September 18, 2020, 17:52:47 »
Good capture John

his eye seems to have a six-bladed iris - like some of those really old, classic Nikkors!

I love it!

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #842 on: September 19, 2020, 05:45:21 »
Thanks Colin!  Rain today, so no chance to go across to see if he was at it again.  Cheers,  John

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #843 on: October 02, 2020, 19:43:05 »
Thursday was a good day....but I didn't take a spare battery so missed out on a lot :(

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #844 on: October 02, 2020, 19:45:01 »
My intention was to contrast the Black Kite against a pastoral background.
In the end I worried that some of the detail of the bird would be lost (so have included a crop) but for me the widescreen version is what I wanted.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #845 on: October 04, 2020, 14:28:44 »
My first try with the 200-500 5.6E on Z50, it’s a nice Lens that accepts 1.4x very good but I am phasing some issues with slight out of focus objects that supposed to be in focus mainly with Z50 and not with D750
Do you thing it’s better VR Off in less than 1/1000 sec?

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #846 on: October 04, 2020, 16:18:49 »
What type of AF do you use on the Z50?

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #847 on: October 04, 2020, 21:26:36 »
I used AF-S and pinpoint for not moving birds
The issue is that just before the shot it’s very clear and in the image review it’s almost not focused
I used VR on at the speed 1/2000 sec,  maybe is VR blurr?
I never had this issue with Tamron 150-600 G1

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #848 on: October 04, 2020, 21:49:11 »
Here are two shots in hi crop you may see it, I know its minimal but exist
JPEG from  camera with crop

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #849 on: October 04, 2020, 23:50:59 »
Try the normal size, not pinpoint, and maybe try the dynamic mode, it will keep focus even if the bird moves a little bit.
Saw this recommended by “Ricci Talks” a Nikon YouTuber

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #850 on: October 05, 2020, 14:45:38 »
Doesn't logic say that VR becomes more useful on lower shutter speeds?
I would have thought that by 1/1000th or faster the benefits will be reducing quite a lot.

Do you mainly take photos of birds at rest, or are you after birds in flight too?
I'm slowly finding out that once they start moving, 1/1600th seems the minimum and its often worth trading higher ISO to go to 1/2000th if you can.

Plus even birds sat on a twig can move their head or a wingtip that can give you some blur. I'm not sure that VR is going to help you with any of that - just movement cause by handholding etc

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #851 on: October 05, 2020, 18:40:12 »
Thank you Bent and Colin for your answers :)
I check it again and there is no VR issue
There is an image degradation from the center  to the corners that can be seen on 100% at infinity focus and at 500mm. At 300,400mm there is no issue
The issue is described here
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-200-500mm-f5-6e-vr/3

and is sample variation, unfortunately I got a but copy
The lens is 3years old and has 15.000 actuations I  doubt if this has to do with the issue
Otherwise the lens is very good and I like it very much all except for the weight and bulk
When I made  some tests shots a pigeon stand in front of me  and I couldn’t resist
The details on the feather is remarkable to me ( standard JPEG from Z50)
Thank you

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #852 on: October 06, 2020, 06:47:15 »
VR sports mode can be very useful even at shutter speeds above 1/1000 second to keep the focus point on the target, and I have seldom seen detrimental effect of this.

Wilson's Snipe winnowing, making this strange sound during steep rapid dives with its tail feathers. They were frequently active around here in June at dusk during cloudy weather by some reason. They were very high in the sky and hard to spot and keep in the frame. TC-14 + a 100% crop came to the rescue with the 300PF. The species is very similar to the Common Snipe in Europe, distinguished as different species by the number of tail feathers.

Øivind Tøien

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #853 on: October 07, 2020, 21:34:25 »
Wilson's Snipe winnowing,

What a beautiful bird Ovind, never see anything quite like that.
And thank you - I hadn't considered VR and AF.

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #854 on: October 08, 2020, 00:46:39 »
Great Gray Owl.
Ken Smith