Author Topic: Under the big sycamore  (Read 8162 times)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
Re: Under the big sycamore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 23:31:03 »
Very interesting and oddly captivating.  This image seems to have one foot in realty and the other in fantasy.
+1

What a wonderful image. As Elsa, I much prefer the first one.
Jørgen Ramskov

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 04:26:10 »
Olivier, thanks for the disclosure of the technical background.  I would also prefer the original version.  The trunk and the branches are good accent in the image, and they stand out better in the original one.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 06:55:00 »
Here is the picture with more contrast
I'll be the odd man out and give my preference to the second.  A beautiful piece!
Eb
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 09:56:56 »
What a beautifully characterful tree!

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 10:37:13 »
Thanks again!
I guess it is difficult to debate about contrast and details on a image reduced for web posting, and since I don't print much (yet), it may remain a moot point.

Anyway, here is a very similar view, same place, same castle, same tree, just from the other side of the trunk. 7 images pano.
the other image is a wide view, from far behind the tree just to show the whole beast in the park.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 17:06:42 »
Thanks for the extra images Olivier, they set the context nicely and I'm impressed with the girth of the trunk.

....since I don't print much (yet)
My feeling is that the first/second image you posted would be very pleasing as a printed image. I get a lot of enjoyment from seeing my images at (say) A3 or A2 size, and also having them round the house for other people to see.

Though I still own an Epson A3 colour printer, I haven't used it for years and get mine done from an online supplier. I'm sure I could tease some extra quality by a DIY approach (and this may be more relevant for B&W prints), but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Jellyfish
For those that asked about my first post here, it wasn't my image - just included it to explain my comment.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 21:56:03 »
Thanks again!
I guess it is difficult to debate about contrast and details on a image reduced for web posting, and since I don't print much (yet), it may remain a moot point.

Anyway, here is a very similar view, same place, same castle, same tree, just from the other side of the trunk. 7 images pano.
the other image is a wide view, from far behind the tree just to show the whole beast in the park.
Yes, it is impossible to know exactly what viewers see on their equipment!  However, contrast rendering is very important in a subject such as this with so much reliance on fine detail.
Thanks for posting the sequel shots which are just as impressive.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 21:45:36 »
Thanks!

Colin, do you print online because it is cheaper or simpler?
The decent printing companies I have found in France really hammered me so far, so I tend to limit the amount of prints to almost nothing...

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 21:20:35 »
A mixture really Olivier.

The price seems fair and I'm happy with the quality. Also my home A3 printer hasn't been used in years and was getting less reliable in its last few months.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 22:44:44 »
I like the first version and, even if ment to be explanatory only, the last one posted.

There is a huge, nearly overwhelming amount of (leave) detail unveiled in the fine contrast gradation in the first pic.
Contrast has just the right balance not to make the branches and limbs stand out too prominent.

Looking at the pic the gaze soon starts moving through the details.
The shiny translucent light gives it a certain unrealness.
The fisheye bend of the main branch helps earthing the gaze at the house in the background where the eye comes to a rest.
At least for some time, there is no real steadiness here.
Very interesting but not a pic that calms my sensory neurons.

The last one does.
It is a sensory relief.
Nice, simple story: reduced number of elements, illumination by the clouds light dome,
easy to focus on the house in the background which is the only man made object in a lot of nature,
spectators view goes from shadow to light,
2 gatekeeper trees just allow fo the view, the asymetry is following the pointing limb.
Dimished overall lighting and contrast are providing a disimpassioned impression.
A documentary with a story, something I can fall for easily.

-/-/-

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 22:24:54 »
Hi Thomas
Thank you for the detailed comment, it is helpful and very interesting to understand what people see in my pictures.
The unrealness mostly comes from the IR effect on leaves for me, and from the overwhelming entanglement of branches. I actually like running throught the image, following the lines...

Just for fun I printed the first version of the picture at work, on an A3 laser printer... It was actually quite decent, surprisingly so given the printer/paper combination.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 12:19:40 »
Mongo very much likes the first posted image as is. The last two are not too shabby either ! nice work

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 16:07:57 »
I like the fisheye-bending and the IR-style. It is a classic landscape scene with a strone foreground. thank you.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 07:58:17 »
Same place, in winter. The castle and the gardens were crowded yesterday as the municipality had organized a book fair, quite successfully so.

V1IR, many shots...

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:51 »
Wonderful ir images