Author Topic: Hood for Ai-S 28/2.8  (Read 2935 times)

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hood for Ai-S 28/2.8
« on: October 15, 2015, 21:40:52 »
A HN-2 is the recommended hood for Nikkor Ai-S 28/2.8, alternative is the HN-3 (which I use for my Ai-S 35/2.0) that is almost 2x "deeper".
However, I have a HN-1 for my Ai-S 28/2.0. As I do not have seen the HN-2 I do not know how deep it is compared with HN-1 and HN-3. The very old for 28/3.5 "F" is somewhat in between, but my copy is now very well used and have lots of unfriendly marks from hits to rocks etc that reflect light more than shade for it...
Any advices? What is the best to use, HN-1 or HN-3.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Hood for Ai-S 28/2.8
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 22:12:52 »
Nikon's recommendations were always on the conservative side, meaning the hood should not vignette even if you put a thick filter on the lens and then attached the hood.

In the age of digital photography, filters are not that commonly used any more, and the sensor is sensitive to adverse effects of stray light (non-image forming rays). Thus the deepest possible hood is to be preferred. HN-3 is about as deep a hood as you can put on your 28/2.8 AIS. If the hood later gets knocked about and starts to lose its shape, it might vignette slightly. Thus, HN-2 might be a safer bet although you allow more stray light into the camera with that hood.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 22:26:36 »
Is your 28/3.5 "F" the old Nikkor-H model? The hood for that is the same as the HN-2 - you'll notice the depth is intermediate between your HN-1 and HN-3. Nikon introduced the HN-X naming convention for hoods around 1970, older hoods are labelled with the lenses they fit (eg 28/3.5) but no other name. As long as the inside is still reasonably black it should be fine, shiny marks on the outside wont matter. Shiny marks inside could be touched up with matt black paint or permanent marker pen.

Nikon screw-in hoods are usually a bit shorter than they could be as they were designed to also fit over filters (which would effectively make the hood deeper) without vignetting. If you don't use filters you can usually use a hood designed for a longer lens. The HN-3 is usable with the AI-S 28/2.8 naked (it might work with a thin filter - try it at see).

Also note, these hoods were designed during the days of film, so are appropriate for FX cameras. If you are using a DX camera you can safely use hoods a step or two up. For a 28mm lens on DX, hoods for 50mm lenses may be useable - again try it and see.

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 22:35:22 »
Thanks to both, here is my old fellow.
I use D800 og D750.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:13:08 »
Yes, that is the old-style HN-2 :)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 04:36:39 »
About the unfriendly marks on your 28mm lens.

During the second world war, the British war effort was very short on camera gear (well for starters the Axis countries were out of contention for fresh supplies, LOL, and the US was flat out supplying their own needs).  So the Brits appealed to the public to donate their camera gear to the war effort.  Many of the cameras so donated had scratched and chipped front lens elements.  What the Brits did was to careful fill these scratches and chips with black India ink.  This stopped the reflection issue.  For small scratches the effect on the resultant images was usually neglible or at least acceptable. 

This may be worth a try? 

(Their camera technicians would also sometimes rotate the front lens element so the effects of scratch or chip would have minimal effect - clearly this approach would be best justified for off centre damage.)

A HN-2 is the recommended hood for Nikkor Ai-S 28/2.8, alternative is the HN-3 (which I use for my Ai-S 35/2.0) that is almost 2x "deeper".
However, I have a HN-1 for my Ai-S 28/2.0. As I do not have seen the HN-2 I do not know how deep it is compared with HN-1 and HN-3. The very old for 28/3.5 "F" is somewhat in between, but my copy is now very well used and have lots of unfriendly marks from hits to rocks etc that reflect light more than shade for it...
Any advices? What is the best to use, HN-1 or HN-3.
Hugh Gunn

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:19:50 »
Interesting part of the history of photography.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:35:45 »
About the unfriendly marks on your 28mm lens...
I think the mar DanAa referred to are on the hood, not the lens ...?

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:29:19 »
Yes, I referred to marks inside the hood (which is now covered). However, the history from World War II is interesting.