Author Topic: Fujinon XF 60/2.4 Macro  (Read 12203 times)

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
Fujinon XF 60/2.4 Macro
« on: October 14, 2015, 19:58:11 »
I've purchased a used Fujinon XF 60/2.4 Macro.

The lens can hunt quite a bit on my Fuji X-E1 and the AF speed is not impressive (the AF motor also seems to drain the battery quite a bit). In some situations it helps to adjust the AF area to improve AF. In less optimal ligtht it can be difficult to nail focus using AF compared to my XF 18-55.

However, I'm really satisfied with the image quality. I'm slightly unsure about the performance on infinite focus and it might be that a macro lense design has some trade-offs .. or my copy might be the culprit.

I've become used to shoot with OIS so this lens without OIS do challenge my shooting technique... not many keepers the among the first series of shots ;D

The lens performs very well even wide open.

A few samples..

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Fujinon XF 60/2.4 Macro
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:59:35 »
Good stuff Hans. I did a comparison between the Fujinon 60 macro and the Zeiss 50mm macro. Both were equally sharp, the Zeiss is a true macro, 1x magnification, while the Fujinon is .5 magnification. If you don't mind the ultra sharpness, the 60mm does a very nice job as a portrait lens as well.

But the 60mm does hunt a lot ... much more so than the Zeiss. 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 20:42:26 »
Thanks Gary,

it is not a true macro as you say - I expect .5 magnification to be OK for most of my use and I'm not prepared to spend extra to get the Zeiss. I like it as a short tele with good performance wide open plus great close-up.

As for portraits - it's very rare I do portraits and I would probably grab one of my old Minoltas for that purpose.

I added a few more autumn shots - and a landscape on a Agave leaf.

Lars.. :)

Update: Replaced images below with new versions that just had level adjustment and resized in Capture One. No sharpening added in Capture One. All JPG's out of the camera - Provia (standard).

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 21:49:39 »
Lars very nice

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 20:48:58 »
Thanks Gary,

it is not a true macro as you say - I expect .5 magnification to be OK for most of my use and I'm not prepared to spend extra to get the Zeiss. I like it as a short tele with good performance wide open plus great close-up.

As for portraits - it's very rare I do portraits and I would probably grab one of my old Minoltas for that purpose.

I added a few more autumn shots - and a landscape on a Agave leaf.

Lars.. :)

Update: I removed the images because they were accidently created with a sharpening feature turned on... I'll re-post them when I've created them in a more "honest" version.

You know that the internes runs on honesty.  If it isn't honest ... you cannot post on the internet.   ;D
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 13:39:10 »

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 13:50:50 »
You know that the internes runs on honesty.  If it isn't honest ... you cannot post on the internet.   ;D

;D ... well, let's say "objective" then .. with a tad of subjective post processing ;) 

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 13:57:58 »
Updated versions of the first series - incl. EXIF data.

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:53 »
A very nice set of images. You've certainly shown off some of the strengths of this delightful little lens. Fast focusing is not one of those strengths, but I knew that when I got this lens. At f11 and below, the sharpness is amazing. I used it mostly for products, nature, and portraiture. All things where fast focus is not needed.

With its great optics, small size, and solid feel for a reasonable price, I think it's an excellent lens that doesn't receive the love it deserves.
Bob Fanshier

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 21:59:10 »
With its great optics, small size, and solid feel for a reasonable price, I think it's an excellent lens that doesn't receive the love it deserves.

Thanks Longhiker - I certainly agree with you.

Great to see you here on NG!