Author Topic: Spot Colour  (Read 3180 times)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
Spot Colour
« on: October 11, 2015, 22:03:39 »
The one and only fall outing to the high country, beyond our little valley.  It was spot colour - indeed, a spot here and a spot there and mostly too late for any colour!

Finally, a B&W version appears to be a photographic oxymoron to fall colour series.  But I was actually thinking Ansel Adams when I looked out on this horseshoe bend in the Nicola River.

Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Spot Colour
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 22:37:52 »
Very "canadian"pix!
Andrew Iwanowski

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 22:38:57 »
I adore those yellows!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 00:54:22 »
I can smell the place. Great photos. You are in the right place. Happy you. Hope to see you soon!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:08:16 »
I can smell the place. Great photos. You are in the right place. Happy you. Hope to see you soon!
Thank you for looking Frank , Jakov and Andrew.  Yes Frank, the air is very clean and smelled of sage brush and dry Ponderosa pine needles.  The yellow flowered plants are sage.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:38:25 »
In this particular case, #4 stands out to me as a superb color composition.  And #6 stands out as a landscape.  The orange-yellow tree on the left and the abandoned hut round out the scene.  I might have wanted to trim the dark bush (?) at the far right edge of the frame, but it's just my nit-pick.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:27:23 »
Beautiful!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:01 »
Good stuff, Eb.
Greens & golds in #6 really caught my eye. The old building is ian nteresting contrast there.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:15:51 »
In this particular case, #4 stands out to me as a superb color composition.  And #6 stands out as a landscape.  The orange-yellow tree on the left and the abandoned hut round out the scene.  I might have wanted to trim the dark bush (?) at the far right edge of the frame, but it's just my nit-pick.
Akira, thanks for having a look and taking some thought with regard to the framing on #6.  I think tighter framing on the right is a legitimate option.  I am disinclined for the moment, but as you call my attention to it, there is an old bleached branch, at bottom right which should be removed.  I too like #4 and it is one of a number of variations to get the composition right with the leading line to the spot of colour.  I did stack 2 shots to get the required dof.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:46 »
Good stuff, Eb.
Greens & golds in #6 really caught my eye. The old building is ian nteresting contrast there.
Beautiful!
Thank you Andrea and Peter.  Your views are much appreciated!  One goes looking for these old cabins that have seen better days!  Once they were occupied by homesteaders or miners.  Now nature's garden has grown around them!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 09:16:38 »
Thank you for looking Frank , Jakov and Andrew.  Yes Frank, the air is very clean and smelled of sage brush and dry Ponderosa pine needles.  The yellow flowered plants are sage.

Are these native trees on the mountain slope or just planted there to produce timber? Which kind of trees did cover these slops 150 years before now?

PS: Seeing it again, I value the BW treatment of the river bend very highly.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 13:57:31 »
Wonderful place and colors.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 15:24:34 »
Beautiful! Number 6 works best for me, but 4 is also good.
My brother lives in BC, and he has always said that the landscape has similarities with Norway - I can see he is right  :)
Bjørn Jørgensen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 16:12:57 »
Akira, thanks for having a look and taking some thought with regard to the framing on #6.  I think tighter framing on the right is a legitimate option.  I am disinclined for the moment, but as you call my attention to it, there is an old bleached branch, at bottom right which should be removed.  I too like #4 and it is one of a number of variations to get the composition right with the leading line to the spot of colour.  I did stack 2 shots to get the required dof.

Eb, thanks for disclosing the technical background of #4.  I'm always inspired by the way you slickly (in a positive sense) incorporate the post-process techniques like stitching or stacking to make pleasing, natural-looking images.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 20:22:18 »
Are these native trees on the mountain slope or just planted there to produce timber? Which kind of trees did cover these slops 150 years before now?

PS: Seeing it again, I value the BW treatment of the river bend very highly.
There is quite some biodiversity since we covered 460 km. that day from Coastal Hemlock to Ponderosa Pine to Bunchgrass biogeoclimatic zones and return on a circle tour.  Considering the distance travelled, we did not come up with a lot, since there was not much fall colour left for imaging and the weather was rainy.  (The yellow leaf of the Trembling Aspen was our quarry.)  Most of the images were taken in a mixture of Ponderosa Pine and Bunchgrass areas, - very dry zones, where some of the wetter low areas will host deciduous species, like our aspens.  With reference to #7, if you are referring to the relatively solidary conifers with orange brown and black bark, they are Ponderosa Pines, a native growth.  I doubt these would be logged on steep unstable slopes.  They also occur in sparse, solidary fashion within the grazing lands as well as the more desert grasslands where sage and other brush plants predominate.  The main agriculture in the area is cattle grazing with some hay production where irrigation is possible, as you can see in the valley bottom.  The wetter slopes across the valley appear to show denser growth of Lodgepole Pine and maybe some fir (edit: Ponderosa Pine, obvious at 100%.)  I could be wrong, but it does not appear that these slopes are suitable to logging.  While I did not portray any pure grassland areas in my series, they are nearby.  There are attempts to protect grasslands from invasive trees in the BC interior.  So it does happen that trees may plant themselves!  But, in general, I do expect that the biology, geology and climate was much the same 150 years ago.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada