Author Topic: Tough decision  (Read 5007 times)

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Tough decision
« on: October 10, 2015, 22:31:33 »
   I was thinking about getting a 70-300mm VR lens for my D 300s.  I just happened to see that I could get a refurbished Nikon Coolpix A for less money.  I already have the older Nikon 70-300mm ED non VR lens, so I really don't need it.  I don't need the Coolpix A either since I bought a Sony RX 100 I last year at this time.  The 28mm single fl lens may be a problem, but the APS-C sensor and extremely good lens would be a plus.
David Olsen

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Tough decision
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 22:42:20 »
You have a 70-300 and an RX100. So you don't need another 70-300 or a Coolpix A. Get something else!!!  ;D

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 22:45:57 »
  I almost have to get something as it's my birthday!
David Olsen

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 22:53:44 »
I'm looking at the Coolpix A too - fabulous value. Why not sell the Sony and stick with the fixed 28? I agree about not doubling up, no need to have both. How about a D3300 and a small 20mm lens for it?

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 23:18:46 »
David, wait a few months and hope a D400 will come and... Happy Birthday!  ;)
Marco Lanciani

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 23:55:25 »

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 00:28:05 »
   I've been waiting for the D 400 for a few years now.  I bought a used D 300s to replace my D 80 and don't think that I would be satisfied with a crippled camera after using the D 300s.  I don't want to go up to an FX camera as a few of my lenses are DX only.
David Olsen

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 00:50:11 »
I don't think that either upgrading your 70-300 to VR or buying a Coolpix A is at all a good idea.

Maybe you might consider changing system and go for a Fuji XT1, or similar, and sell all you actual equipment: you can use lenses from every brand. Only the best!  8)
Or you might consider a Nikon 1 AW...
This if your money are burning in your hands.

I don't know your actual photographic needs but don't waste your money.

Why not invest your money in taking photos: travel a lot and enjoy photography!  ;)
Good luck with your decision!
Marco Lanciani

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:59:09 »
Make a gift to yourself of funds, to be used if Nikon makes the long-pined-for successor to the D300S, or something else if Nikon poops out.  Give it until February or so...
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:02:52 »
I had the 70-300 ED AF, replaced it with the 70-300 AFS Vr and I think it is much better, more contrast, better AF, and Vr can be useful, but you also have to remember to turn it off when it can be detrimental.

if you want to stay with DX but upgrade the D300s , have you looked at the D7200?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 06:59:34 »
whatever you spend your money on - HAVE FUN and happy birthday
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 07:14:18 »
Maybe equipment is not the best option to advance your
photography. A cool workshop that might teach you how to
use your equipment in cool new ways might be the better
option. I feel I already have more than enough equipment.
Sometimes I am under the impression that I shoot more after
having sold equiment I do not use anymore. It feels like a burden
has been lifted from my chest.

I currently have a selling list.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 12:28:05 »
   I didn't think about the workshops available.  I gave my son a 6 month subscription to one of them, but you can rent individual sessions on different topics on it also.  You just have to watch it within 48 hours.
David Olsen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 14:19:06 »
   I didn't think about the workshops available.  I gave my son a 6 month subscription to one of them, but you can rent individual sessions on different topics on it also.  You just have to watch it within 48 hours.

I was thinking of live workshops with real people. Not online. In our area we have lots of these.
On Macro. On Tabletop. On lighting. On wedding. On Portraits. ...

some are really expensive like a few thousand Euros for a weekend. But you can get great tuition for a few
hundred bucks too.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 15:50:15 »
If you want something with excellent IQ, is fun to use, has a retro look and has some neat features (high flash sync speed, leaf shutter, EVF+OVF) fixed 35mm lens + high quality converters to get 28mm and 50mm FL, go for the Fuji X100/X100S/X100T. I have the X100T and it's the camera I bring on city trips, bike rides, walks, etc. I thoroughly enjoy that camera.

A camera that has superb IQ (apparently almost up to par with medium format), there's the Sigma DP Merrill(s). Very affordable, lowsy processing software, a bit slow but if the light is good (read low ISO) the IQ is really, really awesome! Gary A. knows all about them!
Peter