Author Topic: The New Zeiss Otus is a 28mm Lens  (Read 6344 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The New Zeiss Otus is a 28mm Lens
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 19:19:12 »
Chambers has a photo of the new Otus next to the old 28/2 ZF2 on his front page.  It ain't small!
http://diglloyd.com
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 21:08:08 »
The cross section looks...to my inexpert eyes... somewhat like a double Gauss with a wide converter in front of it
Yes the group colored purple at the rear is a classic double gauss design.

This is not about Practical I'm afraid ;) This is Sharpness...
True. But it occurred to me that lenses of this size usually come with a tripod mount - and users of this lens aren't going to hand-hold this lens if ultimate sharpness is what they are after. Without a tripod collar on the lens, that is a lot of weight hanging off the lens mount and camera tripod mount. It would be ironic if a lens designed for ultimate sharpness pulled the lens mount out of alignment, causing loss of sharpness. The problem is even worse if you try to mount it on a mirrorless camera via adaptor - how would you support the whole rig?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 21:23:52 »
The designers aren't photographers and thus have little or no clue as to how the lens will be used. Nothing particular for Zeiss I'm afraid.

Such heavy lenses should have a tripod mount notwithstanding their shorter focal length. Using them hand-held is wasting the ultimate quality they can deliver. Warping the camera mount is a very real problem when such lenses are hooked up to mirrorless cameras as these invariable are much more delicate in interior build.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 23:55:08 »
A burden of 1350g on the lens mount without any support. Ok it is approx. the same weight as a D4s body, but that one has a centre of gravity much closer to the mount...

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 01:55:40 »
Need to use it on a set of video-rails with a forward support with roller bearings. The lens does not move, so that is what I will do, if I get it.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 09:03:53 »
Leica M 28mm f/1.4 that was realesed this year is 440 grams 81mm long and 61mm wide....
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 09:33:53 »
Is the Leica as good? (whatever "good" is :)) Both cost an arm and a leg, too much for me so I'll never know...

We shouldn't just point the finger at Zeiss for making heavy lenses with no tripod mount, Nikon have done it too: AI 8mm2.8 fisheye, and early AF 80-200/2.8 ED zoom.