Author Topic: Recent Photo  (Read 2721 times)

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
Recent Photo
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:45:16 »
This is from the ongoing project, Carnival Noir.,

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
Re: Recent Photo
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 21:29:26 »
6 kids and nobody looking onto his phone - a rare shot
3 chicks in an open inviting circle with 3 ironmen in a line ignoring them - they´ll need another while to understand the game
I like the picture, it is not for the wall, but gives a lot of room for thoughts
Thomas Stellwag

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 21:31:44 »
a lot of ambivalent tension

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 22:42:35 »
nice and great framing!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 23:12:31 »
That is a cool landscape shots.

YOUTH in the city never try to be so cool.

I desperately love this shot!

land = countryside in German ... some things are lost in translation.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 00:23:57 »
Rick,
Seems to be a slow burner for me  ...I first saw it and thought mmm. But I keep coming back and read more into the image. Now I am fascinated by the male female interaction or lack off. Great series shot, you must have a book full now?

On a side note I can see that there was strong shadow/contrast but you have processed it flat, and it made me wonder why?

Cheers
Bez
Bez

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:48 »
Gotta love Texas.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 11:30:11 »
Thanks for all of the comments.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 14:34:51 »
A perfect grouping of two times three persons expressing the feeling of "we are not at all interested" and yet so obviously are. If arranged, great, if captured real-time on the fly, a masterpiece.

I do wish a little more of the usual 'pop' in the b/w appearance too.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 15:49:59 »
This is one of those photos that tell a thousand stories.
The expressions on the boy's faces, the iPhone in the back pocket on one of the girls, the people in the background enjoying the ride, etc...
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 20:07:41 »
Outstanding "straight" documentary photography.
I'm not seeing the 'flat processing' that the others have mentioned.  It looks good on my 13" laptop...which usually makes things look flatter and fuzzier.
Keep going with the series...
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 22:43:40 »
If arranged, great, if captured real-time on the fly, a masterpiece.

My thoughts and my wondering.
Excellent work. The touch of the flying balls full of people rounds up the image for me, ask for interpretations with a touch of surreal.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 23:12:39 »
I love this picture.

The atmosphere rendering is great thanks the back lighting. 8)
Francis Devrainne

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 23:50:50 »
I want to thank everyone for all of the comments.  This is not an arranged shot.  It is a scene that I very quickly captured, as most scenes like this change in the blink of an eye, which this one did.

As for the processing, I did my normal pp work on it but perhaps it is flat as compared to my other stuff which has more contrast to it.  I just processed it till it looked right to me, and the shot did have quite a bit of back/side lighting so maybe that made a bit of difference in the way it looks.

Anyway, the moment I spotted the shot, I raised the camera hoping that the scene would last long enough for me to get off one shot, which I did.  The moment after I pressed the shutter, a couple of the boys looked away and one of the girls looked another direction and the shot was gone.  I was lucky enough that the carnival ride behind them seemed to be in the right place as well.  This type of photography depends a lot on instinctively being in the right place at the right time and knowing when to shoot.  But a little luck every now and then sure helps. 8)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 16:05:01 »
I want to thank everyone for all of the comments.  This is not an arranged shot.  It is a scene that I very quickly captured, as most scenes like this change in the blink of an eye, which this one did.

As for the processing, I did my normal pp work on it but perhaps it is flat as compared to my other stuff which has more contrast to it.  I just processed it till it looked right to me, and the shot did have quite a bit of back/side lighting so maybe that made a bit of difference in the way it looks.

Anyway, the moment I spotted the shot, I raised the camera hoping that the scene would last long enough for me to get off one shot, which I did.  The moment after I pressed the shutter, a couple of the boys looked away and one of the girls looked another direction and the shot was gone.  I was lucky enough that the carnival ride behind them seemed to be in the right place as well.  This type of photography depends a lot on instinctively being in the right place at the right time and knowing when to shoot.  But a little luck every now and then sure helps. 8)

Or just being Rick Waldroup ... you are the master.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.