Author Topic: Treated myself to a Fuji X100T  (Read 8498 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Treated myself to a Fuji X100T
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 22:45:35 »
My fault, should have overexposed it by a stop :) 

It is very nice to know you could have without loosing too much input for the RAW process.

If one knows his headroom, one does not know his head so often.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 22:53:00 »
This one is more extreme - properly "blown" skyline. You just cannot see the apartment blocks in JPEG.  With RAW I just used the highlights recovery and a bit of curve for contrast. Literally 10 sec. editing.

Alexander

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 00:14:18 »
The best Nikons give us 5 stops recovery from the blacks but less than 1 stop from the whites.

?? I get much more from the whites and much less from the blacks !!
In some scenarios the D810 has up to 3 stops headroom.
In-camera ADL makes the blacks better but not by 5 stops for me.

Back to the Fujis......

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:02 »
Andrea, I feel the D750 and Df are the current reference.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 10:08:29 »
Thank you for the additional good advice. I was thinking that this could be a camera that I don't need to use RAW with, but now I see otherwise. Slightly disappointing but worth the effort I can see.

I really do wish that camera manufacturers were able to do what is possible with a bit of simple PP in camera - namely not losing the highlights.

Sash

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 16:32:02 »
Thank you for the additional good advice. I was thinking that this could be a camera that I don't need to use RAW with, but now I see otherwise. Slightly disappointing but worth the effort I can see.

I really do wish that camera manufacturers were able to do what is possible with a bit of simple PP in camera - namely not losing the highlights.

No need to be disappointed, in a lot of situations with lower/average dynamic range FUJI JPEGs are excellent. And your images prove it.
Alexander

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 19:06:03 »
I shoot RAW + JPEG...

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 19:23:26 »

Isn't that what Nikon's Active-D lighting settings do?  I don't use it, I use RAW, but just addressing the point above.

Thanks,
Rob.

Sash

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 00:27:57 »
Isn't that what Nikon's Active-D lighting settings do?  I don't use it, I use RAW, but just addressing the point above.

Thanks,
Rob.

FUJI has similar in-built system to Nikon D-Lighting, albeit applied quite differently,  it is called dynamic range expansion.

Unlike Nikon where D-Lighting works with JPEGs only, it is incorporated in RAW with FUJI. It works by using higher ISO for dark areas and holding it for highlights. Effectively you are trading low ISO for higher dynamic range. Let's say ISO 800 instead of ISO 200 will give you an equivalent of 400% of dynamic range, and most of expansion is in highlights.

Nevertheless,I never used Nikon D-Lighting nor FUJI DR expansion. I think it is much better to do in pp in CaptureOne Pro.
I am not an expert, but AFAIK since the blue channel gets blown most often, C1 extends hightlight range by using channels that are not blown, i.e. red or green, and does it quite cleverly by extrapolating and recovering the full colour. I think it is a completely different approach to Nikon D-Lighting.
Alexander

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 15:56:36 »
Unlike Nikon where D-Lighting works with JPEGs only

If you convert your raw Nikon NEF in View or Capture, then the in-camera ADL (along with all other in-camera Nikon settings) is shown and preserved in the raw rendering. That is why some of us have "suffered" for years using View and/or Capture.  ;D

Now, back to Fuji.....

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 17:57:24 »
Apart  from all the technicalities it is just a great camera for
spontaeous work. It is small and powerful and does not put
a big barrier between you and the subjects...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 23:10:08 »
Thank you for the input and the link Frank - no I missed those so have just spent a pleasant time viewing them. Your B&W work gives me a good idea of what I can aim for.

This forum does not allow "+1" or "like".

This forum requires you to take your time and actually find words to reward or punish the one who treats you with their pictures:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=98.0