Author Topic: [Portfolio] A few from Chicago  (Read 2554 times)

Raaj

• NG Member
[Portfolio] A few from Chicago
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:34:54 »
I had the chance to spend this week shooting with Ming Thein in Chicago in a week long intensive.  I've long been an admirer of his images and writing.  I find that he's a great teacher as well.  We set a project for the week for me to go execute - show the majesty of Chicago's architecture.  I'm not comfortable with landscape/urban scares/architecture, so this was a bit f a challenge.  Here are the final few images that I get to present tomorrow to the group as the top images towards that theme of "Majestic Chicago".   Most with the Df, one or two with the D810.  The one of the bean with the 28mm PC-Nikkor.

Would love your comments, critique and any pointers.   Thanks much!

[size=78%]

Cheers,
   -raaj

[/size]
Raaj Shinde

Mike G

Re: A few from Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:59:47 »
I get a feeling of dismal gloom and darkness.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 09:30:06 »
These are nice.

But, just an observation, while you're working on one theme doesn't seem to make it necessary to display all in the same way (unless that's what's part of the assignment, didn't get that). All buildings (except for the egg) are shot from below and straight (or almost so) on. IMHO choosing different perspectives could have made it possible to show more of it and especially the grandeur. Again, just my humble opinion, knowing very well i couldn't have done it better.
Hans Cremers

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:43:04 »
One needs to hone the skills. So repetition has its intrinsic value. However, that being said, creativity in photography comes from breaking the mould or (literally) thinking outside the frame.