Author Topic: Planes of Fame - Chino, California  (Read 5083 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Planes of Fame - Chino, California
« on: September 30, 2015, 16:05:54 »
I grew up in a little agricultural town 20 miles east of Los Angeles. One of the most interesting attractions in town is the airport. During WWII, combat planes were housed at the airport. In the '60's a TV series, "12 O'Clock High" was filmed at the airport. Firefighting aircraft call Chino Airport home. The airport also hosts an air museum, The Planes of Fame. Air museums are common, but what makes the Chino air museum uncommon is that most of the planes are flight worthy. Not only can they fly, but they do fly and regularly. As you walk through the hangars, you will notice oil pans under recently flow planes. For the photographer, flight is a positive thing, because it causes a reshuffling of the planes, allowing the planes to be captured in different light throughout the year.

Douglas A-4 Skyhawk

North American F-86 Sabre

Chance Vought F4U Corsair

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Lockheed P-38 Lightning
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Planes of Fame - Chino, California
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 16:55:49 »
Impressive feel for lighting, contrast and abstraction. You really got it!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 17:24:24 »
Gary, The light and framing in N.2 and N.6 are really special.
I love them!

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 17:29:22 »

Thank you Frank.

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 17:30:37 »
Gary, The light and framing in N.2 and N.6 are really special.
I love them!

Thanks Olivier.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 18:36:35 »
Really nice pictures of those planes of legends... :-) You're almost abstracts framing and exposing gives a new life to those well known and over-photographied planes ! You're right about the difference between a flying plane and it's static museum equivalent, the former is loved and groomed, the latest gathers dust !

Would like to see more of those that could make a very nice coffee table book for planes lovers... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 19:39:20 »
You are like a magician Gary! The way you play with light and shadow, unimaginable. Thanks for the story and the beautiful story-telling pictures.
Anirban Halder

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 00:03:10 »
+1

Really dig how you play with the light, images like #2, 3 and 6 really make my juices flow.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 00:36:04 »
Really nice pictures of those planes of legends... :-) You're almost abstracts framing and exposing gives a new life to those well known and over-photographied planes ! You're right about the difference between a flying plane and it's static museum equivalent, the former is loved and groomed, the latest gathers dust !

Would like to see more of those that could make a very nice coffee table book for planes lovers... :-)

For a few bucks, (well... more than a few), you can rent a plane and pilot and get airborne. You can even rent a bomber (B-26 IIRC), and have a party. Many of the planes are used in movies.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 00:39:22 »
You are like a magician Gary! The way you play with light and shadow, unimaginable. Thanks for the story and the beautiful story-telling pictures.

LOL ... you are way too kind. I love the planes in the doorways. Almost a Rembrandt feel to the lighting.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 00:45:49 »
+1

Really dig how you play with the light, images like #2, 3 and 6 really make my juices flow.

Thank you Jan Anne.

A lot of the planes had faces too ...

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 17:21:44 »
A few more ...

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 18:20:03 »
Seems one might be missing (the last one) ? Three different type, the first looks like it was a reflection, the second is a great view of a turbine et the last a play with color on a lighter plane I guess ... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 18:30:09 »
Seems one might be missing (the last one) ? Three different type, the first looks like it was a reflection, the second is a great view of a turbine et the last a play with color on a lighter plane I guess ... :-)

LensBaby on the first.

The second is an end view of a wing tip with matching lights above and below.

The third is a turbine.

The last is a Hawker Hurricane.

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 21:13:57 »
Gary - I see you are a man who likes extreme contrast - no harm there (sometimes it might mean that details are lost, and the detail on these old planes is often beautiful).

But you have lots of fine images here - too many to mention. Of the original six you posted, #2, 4, 5, and #6 are favourite.