Author Topic: Camera bag - Carry-On new sizes - its smaller!  (Read 5909 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Camera bag - Carry-On new sizes - its smaller!
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:00:49 »
Just when you thought you got the right bag for flying - think again

Miami, 9 June 2015 – The International Air Transport Association (IATA), announced a new initiative to optimize the accommodation of carry-on bags given differing carry-on bag sizes and airline policies.

Working with airline members of IATA and aircraft manufacturers, an optimum size guideline for carry-on bags has been agreed that will make the best use of cabin storage space. A size of 55 x 35 x 20 cm (or 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches) means that theoretically everyone should have a chance to store their carry-on bags on board aircraft of 120 seats or larger.

An “IATA Cabin OK” logo to signify to airline staff that a bag meets the agreed size guidelines has been developed. A number of major international airlines have signaled their interest to join the initiative and will soon be introducing the guidelines into their operations.

“The development of an agreed optimal cabin bag size will bring common sense and order to the problem of differing sizes for carry-on bags. We know the current situation can be frustrating for passengers. This work will help to iron out inconsistencies and lead to an improved passenger experience,” said Tom Windmuller, IATA’s Senior Vice President for Airport, Passenger, Cargo and Security.

IATA is working with baggage tracking solutions provider Okoban to manage the approval process of bag manufacturers. Each bag meeting the dimensions of the specifications will carry a special joint label featuring IATA and Okoban as well as a unique identification code that signals to airline staff that the bag complies with the optimum size guidelines.

Several major baggage manufacturers have developed products in line with the optimum size guidelines, and it is expected bags carrying the identifying label will start to reach retail shops later this year. Recognition of the IATA Cabin OK logo is expected to grow with time as more airlines opt-in to this IATA initiative.

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2015-06-09-02.aspx
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Camera bag - Carry-On new sizes - its smaller!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:37:01 »
The thickness requirement of 20 cm is the tough one. Only the smallest of Think tanks Airport series backpacks (the Essentials) satisfies this requirement.
Øivind Tøien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:43:47 »
Øivind - totally agree.

new sizes -
21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches, or 55 x 35 x 20 cm.

old sizes -
British Airways  22 inches x 18 inches x 10 inches,
American Airlines 22 x 14 x 9.

Its a  downgrade for most airlines.

Some airlines have already opted to adopt the new guidelines, such as: Avianca, Azul, Cathay Pacific, Air China, China Southern, Emirates, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways.

IATA (International Air Transport Association) represents some 260 airlines comprising 83% of global air traffic. www.iata.org
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:15:35 »
Basically they want all people to buy new luggage... I have a hard time to see this implemented without major problems at the check in counters...

What I would like is that people only carry the one carry on piece of luggage and not the extra computer bag, extra backpack, extra bags of shopping etc...
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:58 »
Erik  - selling new luggage must be on the top of their list :)  very inventive of them -I agree  ;D

how do you sort your carry on luggage when traveling?

I have a camera bag and a laptop bag (which can also fit in/on the camera bag. But I have to separate the laptop bag from the cam bag or they don't fit in the cabin baggage hold (too high). I am talking local flights now and not international.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 08:51:31 »
As long as the personal item fits in the space under the seat in front of you, the personal item should not be a problem. (That is the basic requirement for the personal item, which otherwise is not very strictly defined.) 

I recently got a Thinktank Speedfreak shoulder/belt pack which should fit well within the dimensions specified for most airlines' under-the-seat specifications. I am thinking about trying it out as a personal item on next travel. However that will require the laptop to go in my 45L day pack used a main cabin item, so passing security will be a bit more cumbersome. And I am not sure if that space should rather be used for my long legs, so it is going to be an experiment. On the other hand getting most photo gear (stored in modular components) out of the 45L day pack should stress the size of that less. I agree that the tax free stuff often mess things up a bit, particularly in Scandinavia...

There is no way to strictly define (and certify) the size/dimensions of an item like my 45L pack, as it all depends on how it is packed. It usually slides into the overhead much better than the average cabin luggage due to the more rounded shape that fits the bins better. I have never had any real problems with it when checking in. The old trick is of course to pretend it is very light weight...
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:19:50 »
All airlines these days seem to accept a computer bag/ladies' purse and of course it can be stuffed with some extras. I put my medicines there so as to cut off any further discussion were it to occur (never has so far). On the recent Slovenian trip I put one of the smaller Thinkpads (X-220) with power brick, plenty of USB leads, card reader, etc. into the bag and had spare room for a book or two as well.

In addition most of the photo gear goes into my Thinktank ('Streetwalker Pro') which is pretty small, unobtrusive, and nobody bats an eyelid. The main camera is carried over my shoulder. Again, on the recent trip I had Df#1 with the APO-Lanthar over my shoulder and Df#2, 105/2.5, AFS 300/4 PF, Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2, D3200 (for UV), Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4, 18/4, AFS 20/1.8, 35/1.4 AIS, 35/2.5 SE, Nikon AW1 with 11-27.5, 6.7-13, 18.5/1.8, 10-100/4-5.6, extension rings, SB-140 flash, cable releases, spare batteries, etc. etc. in the Thinktank. I put the chargers, D5300 IR camera with 18-70 AFS, and the 7.5/5.6 Fisheye, all inside a well-padded Domke bag, and the shortened travel Sachtler with Burzynski head in my checked-in luggage.

Despite this comprehensive gear list, I was well within weight limits also for carry-on.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:16 »
I know some people hang a camera around their neck - have never done it personally - but on an international trip I might have to. We all know a little lady who hangs everything she owns around her neck and stuff every second lens in a pocket.
I think weight becomes an issue only with long lenses

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:04:49 »
Thanks Elsa for the update, just measured my original Gura Gear Kiboko which still meet the latest requirements.

Bought it for the NG Safari 6 years ago for a whopping $400, good to know I can use it for a few more years when I need to bring a lot of gear :)

Lately my Billingham Hadley Pro is the most used bag however, it fits my a7S, 3-5 lenses, MacBook Air 13" and two front pockets full of accessories.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 09:10:44 »
And we only worry about packing gear :)
as far as I am concerned - everything else can stay home :)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:49:50 »
And we only worry about packing gear :)
as far as I am concerned - everything else can stay home :)
Almost, everything non breakable is stuffed in a big Storm case which goes in the belly of the flying beast :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 12:51:33 »
And the weight of that Beast isnt to be discounted either...