Author Topic: A morning with the Nikon 20mm f/4 Ai  (Read 28320 times)

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
A morning with the Nikon 20mm f/4 Ai
« on: September 28, 2015, 00:16:47 »
I was out walking locally this morning and I decided to take my Nikon 20mm f/4 Ai with me. This lens is quite well known for being a good performer and prices remain quite high on the used market. Whilst I have never owned any other 20mm lens I don't feel any lack of confidence when using this lens. It takes some care to get the best out of it and it does not like the sun to glance on the front but the images are absolutely no disgrace. I suppose I should be lusting after the new 20mm f/1.8 but I don't miss not having AF for what I do and have never fallen out with my f/4 so why change? I may add the f/1.8 one day though ;)

I share a few photos from today but any 20mm f/4 information or other examples appreciated. Also how much different is it to the later f/3.5 lens with regards to its results?

These were taken on the D750.

Edit to sum up my findings:

Well worth using live view and magnification - it is hard to tell when this lens has reached peak focus and if it is off, the results suffer quite badly.
Infinity focus is optimum just shy of the stop - using the hard stop works, but not optimum.
All stops are useable but fall-off and edge sharpness go by f/8 (f/8-16 best performance).
Contrast is a bit lower than modern lenses but not in a bad way - it has good colour.
My rating is 7 out of 10.

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: A morning with the Nikon 20mm f/4 Ai
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 21:45:31 »
Hi Ian, I also have a 20mm f/4 (and have only just acquired an HK-3 hood for it - woot!), and love it although I'd agree with your comments about focus and sun. I've also looked at the new 20mm f/1.8, and dismissed it (I think) for similar reasons.
A couple of shots attached with it on a Df.
John H

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 23:44:20 »
Beautiful and clear shots John.

Well done on the hood. I got mine from Greys of Westminster in the end. It cost over £30 but I could not find one anywhere. A year or so later I saw an HK-14 (the screw in version) for £2 in nice condition so I had that as a spare.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 06:18:41 »
Very informative write-up Ian. And beautiful photos. Nice of you to share the tips on how to get sharp images out of this lens.
Anirban Halder

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:02:04 »
Very informative write-up Ian. And beautiful photos. Nice of you to share the tips on how to get sharp images out of this lens.

My pleasure :)

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 19:24:50 »
Beautiful and clear shots John.

Well done on the hood. I got mine from Greys of Westminster in the end. It cost over £30 but I could not find one anywhere. A year or so later I saw an HK-14 (the screw in version) for £2 in nice condition so I had that as a spare.

That's not a bad price for an HK-3, I resorted to KEH in the 'States, they're like hens' teeth. Mind you, apparently Nikon only made around 30,000 of the f/4, so I can't see there ever having been that many of the hood sold

John

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 21:06:09 »
I think the HN-1 for 24/2.4 is a viable option when fitted directly to the lens, but it may cause vignetting if fitted over a filter - thin filters may be ok though.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 17:51:50 »
I think the HN-1 for 24/2.4 is a viable option when fitted directly to the lens, but it may cause vignetting if fitted over a filter - thin filters may be ok though.
The HN-2 also fits the 20mm.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 20:26:14 »
The HN-2 also fits the 20mm.
Does that work that on FX cameras?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 20:31:22 »
I used the HN-1 before settling on the HK-3, which admittedly is a much better fit at least visually, but probably equally ineffective. HN-2 might be questionable in terms of causing vignetting.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 21:27:10 »
I didn't notice anything shooting, in-camera and after post-processing with the D800E and the 20mm f/3.5 wide open.  However on closer observation of the RAWS there might be a little trace of vignetting which may have been caused by the HN-2.

chambeshi

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 18:59:19 »
Your recent reports on a classic lens are most useful, as I recently found a mechanically sound 20 f4 AI, with engrained signs of years of use. The focus mechanism is still silky smooth. The initial tests leave me most happy with this fortunate find.

Besides what KR says, I was first intrigued by this Nikkor after reading the essays by the late great landscape photographer and conservation activist Galen Rowell. He had sound reasons to rate the 20 f4 among his favourites. I quote "“An art director on a recent ad shoot looked askance at my Nikon F5 fitted with a battle-scarred 1970s manual-focus 20mm lens instead of the 20-35mm f2.8 zoom he owned that has rightfully become the rage for photojournalism. Beyond my tiny fixed lens being lighter, sharper, and less prone to vignetting corners with graduated filters, it serves double duty on a lighter camera for adventure runs, climbs, and ski tours…."          

When You Can't Take it with You, Outdoor Photographer, September 1998

Most of Rowell's essays are on line:  http://www.vividlight.com/articles/403.htm
I'm really glad to own Rowell's anthology - Inner Game of Outdoor Photography - a great read. I return to these essays again and again....

Here's more discussion on the 20mm f4
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30916971

And essay 20 in the One Thousand and One Nights series
http://www.nikkor.com/story/0020/

Thank you for your practical and very useful advice above on using this classic lens in the Digital Age

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 19:32:05 »
Last year I sold my sample of the 20/4 as I didn't like the results. Early this year I was able to locate a boxed mint one.  That one really surprised me.

These are shot with the D800E

chambeshi

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 11:26:00 »
Thank for feedback using your Mint 20 f4. I see Very interesting potential for landscapes :)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 13:11:10 »
Everyone should track down a copy of Galen Rowell's anthology. 

Rowell's untimely death was a tragic blow to conservation and landscape photography alike.

Rowell's lens and equipment choices were interesting.  Since he had to either run large distances into photographic hot spots spots or personally back pack it in, his choices often favoured lighter weight amateur lenses and camera bodies that he determined could still do the job and at what apertures that their IQ was still "up there".

His family still run a site that sells reprints of his work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have an even older 20mm lens, the 20mm UD that is still a very good performer - albeit fairly heavy.

Besides what KR says, I was first intrigued by this Nikkor after reading the essays by the late great landscape photographer and conservation activist Galen Rowell. ............................

When You Can't Take it with You, Outdoor Photographer, September 1998

Most of Rowell's essays are on line:  http://www.vividlight.com/articles/403.htm
I'm really glad to own Rowell's anthology - Inner Game of Outdoor Photography - a great read. I return to these essays again and again....

Hugh Gunn