Author Topic: The Like of the Draw  (Read 2650 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
The Like of the Draw
« on: September 22, 2015, 21:11:04 »
Certainly, the common Aster is an incredible subject for close-up photography. I make this post to show something as to how three different lenses each have a different draw or take on images. And they are very predictable. I am not shooting the same subject in the same pose because I never do that with different lenses. Each has its own qualities and each suggests that I shoot differently.

So, here are the Zeiss 55mm APO, the CRT-Nikkor, and the El Nikkor 105mm APO lenses. I offer two images for each, so look underneath the image for the image name.

Of course, I like them all, but for Asters, I prefer the El Nikkor 105mm APO, which continues to be a terrific lens for anything with various levels of detail. Which lens do you prefer? All taken with the Nikon D810 and Zerene Stacker.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: The Like of the Draw
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 21:25:32 »
I find the CRT-Nikkor most pleasing in these shots.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 22:02:54 »
El Nikkor APO because of the great masses of detail.
But all 3 lenses have produced excellent results.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 22:13:51 »
El Nikkor APO because of the great masses of detail.

The El Nikkor APO 105mm, not to be confused with any of the non-APO El Nikkors, is not a fast lens (at f/5.6), but it gives an almost 3D effect as used here, wide-open, and stacked. It sits on a PB-4 Nikon Bellows with a 12mm extension on the end of the bellows to allow a camera like the D810 to attach. Then, the front standard is fixed with the lens, while the back standard with the camera moves.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:52:27 »
I personally prefer a more subjective, painterly approach currently....

to try and make the essence of a flowervisible, as I see it....
formerly known as kds315

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:21:58 »
Very nice images Michael, Impossible to pick one or compare them as it completely depends on what you want feeling or emotion you want to convey.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:30:51 »
A flower can be approached in countless ways when we try to make a photographic record of it. I am pleased to see the various manners this can be done and the different moods induced from these. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 21:01:08 »
Of course, I like them all, but for Asters, I prefer the El Nikkor 105mm APO, which continues to be a terrific lens for anything with various levels of detail. Which lens do you prefer? All taken with the Nikon D810 and Zerene Stacker.

I prefer by a wide margin the third and last image. The third image reminds me of a painting in that the main subject is fully in focus. The human eye and brain do focus stacking. It's just that way. The painter normally doesn't see as a single photographic image when painting objects close at hand.

I really like the third photograph!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!