Author Topic: Promo video  (Read 2441 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Promo video
« on: January 25, 2016, 15:58:16 »
As some of you already know I do sometimes a workshop with a flamenco dancer in which we use improvisation and photography to guide the students. Las time we even got not only dancers, but some photo students as well. This is a promotional video using images from the last two we made. Any C&C is greatly appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/152052833

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Promo video
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 21:20:01 »
It's good...no need to change anything.  Even if the images weren't as good as they are, the music would make it persuasive.
Maybe I'd remove the shots of the photographers, if the video is supposed to be strictly about the dance studio and not about photography.
Here's a recent promo video for a camera company that I thought was very pleasant to watch: https://vimeo.com/147847780
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 22:39:05 »
As a promotion for the workshop, the video looks compelling enough to me.  It would be more effective when viewed on a larger display or when projected onto a big screen.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 23:01:20 »
It's good...no need to change anything.  Even if the images weren't as good as they are, the music would make it persuasive.
Maybe I'd remove the shots of the photographers, if the video is supposed to be strictly about the dance studio and not about photography.
Here's a recent promo video for a camera company that I thought was very pleasant to watch: https://vimeo.com/147847780
Thanks Keith. This video is in another level. My nonexistent skill with video help in creating mine...little else I can do. I´m happy you like it.
  The shots of the photographers are there because that is a direction the workshop can grow and it adds another dimension and very constructive connections.
   The music is "Con El Pucho De La Vida (Bulería)" by "SonAires De La Frontera". Their work is very very good if you are interested.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 23:04:18 »
As a promotion for the workshop, the video looks compelling enough to me.  It would be more effective when viewed on a larger display or when projected onto a big screen.

Thanks Akira. I agree about the big screen. That´s the way we were seeing them during the week we worked together but probably the majority of people is going to look at it on a computer monitor or smartphone. I hope it still works.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 00:26:39 »
Thanks Keith. This video is in another level. My nonexistent skill with video help in creating mine...little else I can do. I´m happy you like it.
  The shots of the photographers are there because that is a direction the workshop can grow and it adds another dimension and very constructive connections.
   The music is "Con El Pucho De La Vida (Bulería)" by "SonAires De La Frontera". Their work is very very good if you are interested.
Thanks for mentioning the musicians. I'm very interested and would have asked otherwise.
-/-/-

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 01:32:46 »
thoroughly enjoyed that experience Paco. Brought back happy times when Mongo studied Classical and flamenco guitar for over 20 years. As you can imagine, flamenco is virtually never heard in Australia and Mongo has not played for far too long. So, Thank you !

Terrific innovative processes and work. Again, the B&W suits the theme very well overall. The varied sequencing of frames to the music at times gave them added collaboration. However, Mongo can't help wonder (for just an instant) if a peppering or just a select 4 to 6 colour images would be appropriate to "punctuate" the video at strategic points; particularly a combination of red and black as the coloured images.......OR whether this would actually detrimentally affect an already very good work  ????  just a passing thought but excellent as is.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:45:30 »
Very nice! I'm with Mongo here and will only add that some of the images in the middle of the video are shown too short...
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 23:19:48 »
No problem Thomas. They even have some interesting cd covers.

Erik and Mongo, it is curious you mention it. I have already done a previous promo with the use of slower images and some -I think 3- color ones.

https://vimeo.com/106842725

I always look for new ways. It raises an interesting question: were to put the line between innovation, finding and keeping a style or just plain consumers-like need of constant creativity.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:37:06 »
The movie industry uses 'Film Color Schemes' to create or attenuate emotions if you want to take it further ;)
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 09:40:46 »
Love it very expressive and dynamic, the audio was a bit on the "thinside", maybe my laptop.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 11:02:36 »
No problem Thomas. They even have some interesting cd covers.

Erik and Mongo, it is curious you mention it. I have already done a previous promo with the use of slower images and some -I think 3- color ones.

https://vimeo.com/106842725

I always look for new ways. It raises an interesting question: were to put the line between innovation, finding and keeping a style or just plain consumers-like need of constant creativity.

Paco, first, let Mongo say how much he enjoyed this additional video. For still images, you managed to pack a lot of movement, energy and emotion in.

Secondly, in relation  to your apparent dilemma of feeling you have to choose between what may be your crafted style or having to constantly change that for what you perceive consumers want (constantly new and creative things), Mongo would suggest that there may be no difference between the two. It may well be that "your style" is in fact, one of constant innovation that suits and best promotes the changing subject matter you may be dealing with from time to time. Certainly, any subject to be promoted needs to be studied and analysed with skill and experience as to how best to promote it. It is probably the case that people who may call on you to do a promotion of anything, do so to call on your skill and experience to create whatever is necessary to promote the product successfully. It does not have to be different each time - it just has to be effective and appropriate each time. Just some loose thoughts from Mongo.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 16:30:55 »
Paco, if I were a flamenco dancer, I would have you promote me!
The music in the first video is contagiously attractive. I agree that some images were changing too fast so I couldn't enjoy them properly.
The second clip is much better and the emotions that you show in your images are going to attract even those that don't like flamenco (although I cannot envisage how someone could not like flamenco)!
You should be proud of your work :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen