Author Topic: Big Eyes  (Read 5800 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Big Eyes
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 11:45:19 »
These actually look quite scary now  ;D
Erik Lund

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 16:29:49 »
I am late to the party ... but ... these are wonderful. I think a square format for the Barn Owl would even add a bit more impact as one is slightly distracted by the format/subject placement. I will echo others with
Great Owls!. (And super processing.)
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 20:02:18 »
These actually look quite scary now  ;D
Yes, I think that was the idea, somewhat intimidating or mysterious, perhaps.  No longer suitable for children!   ;D
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 20:12:43 »
I am late to the party ... but ... these are wonderful. I think a square format for the Barn Owl would even add a bit more impact as one is slightly distracted by the format/subject placement. I will echo others with
Great Owls!. (And super processing.)
Gary, you are right about image suitability for square format.  I had opted for the tension of off centre placement, which seemed good for me, for now.  It is now printed and I will soon find out whether that was well decided, once I put it on display!  ;D  Thanks for the generous comment!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 20:45:04 »
The Barred Owl is exquisite!

I think this is a wonderful idea to go B&W high key.
Not too high though! I keep wanting to see Great Horned Owl (foto #2) with slight darkening of head?

Barn Owl is also terrific. I like the off centeredness but could see using just a bit more space on the left.

Pygmy Owl seems to have a sweet expression. "-)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 22:04:00 »
The Barred Owl is exquisite!

I think this is a wonderful idea to go B&W high key.
Not too high though! I keep wanting to see Great Horned Owl (foto #2) with slight darkening of head?

Barn Owl is also terrific. I like the off centeredness but could see using just a bit more space on the left.

Pygmy Owl seems to have a sweet expression. "-)
Thanks, Andrea.  You are right, there is a range of high key intensity which would work, and deeper tones depending on taste.  #3, I did darken. as you can see.  I've tried quite a few variations, ultimately for printing the series.  I chose paper with a strong white, matte finish and some texture.  Viewing the prints, I'd say I wouldn't go darker on #2, but then it is completely up to the individual, and also viewing conditions, lighting.  I guess ditto for the off centre composition for #1, which I like the best.  But more space on the left is an option that would bring the aspect ration in line with the others; a good idea!  It is rewarding to reflect on the offerings of differing taste, as it ultimately gives me more confidence on the choices.  My appreciation, Andrea!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 02:59:43 »
And that reminds me, Eb, to remind myself that images viewed online do not always reflect the realities of viewing the printed version. "-)
I do sometimes think that we (we = the denizens of a photo forum) think too much about how the image looks on the monitor these days and less about how it might look printed. I don't think I print nearly often enough at all. Indeed, there are days that I wonder why I even have 24 and 36 megapixel cameras if all I'm going to do is post and not print more.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 09:19:49 »
And that reminds me, Eb, to remind myself that images viewed online do not always reflect the realities of viewing the printed version. "-)
I do sometimes think that we (we = the denizens of a photo forum) think too much about how the image looks on the monitor these days and less about how it might look printed. I don't think I print nearly often enough at all. Indeed, there are days that I wonder why I even have 24 and 36 megapixel cameras if all I'm going to do is post and not print more.
Printing is expensive and a commitment.  At one time I thought that was the whole point of photography.  At heart, I still do!  But with the prolific output inevitability of the digital age, we are undone!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:50 »
Akira, the background was a snow theme, white latticework haphazardly covered with white fluffs (Christmas like "snow" decoration.)  The color versions are OK but I though the selective focus to not be pleasing for the wildlife purists, hence my decision to create some abstraction and mystery with high key b&w.  Here is one taken further back with more dof, which shows more detail in the background rendering.  Well, in colour, it is just an ordinary Barred Owl.

Eb, thanks for the details of the shooting environment and a original color image.  It is not bad at all, but the reassurance is that I like your initial treatments.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

eugeniogp

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • PhotoBox
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 06:17:42 »
I found your images beautiful. I deeply respect nature photographers as it most take a lot of patience to get high quality images such as yours.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 07:33:45 »
I found your images beautiful. I deeply respect nature photographers as it most take a lot of patience to get high quality images such as yours.
Thanks!  In these, the owl was a captive animal, so not about to fly away.  In nature it is, as you suggest, often a lot more trying of patience!  Also, the light was nice and diffused, inside a greenhouse complex.  But there were other challenges in coping with a crowd of spectators.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada