Author Topic: At the edge of the solar system...  (Read 2674 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
At the edge of the solar system...
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:30:28 »
If someone told me this was as capture from a flight over northern Greenland...

Link http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/thumbnails/image/nh-apluto-mountains-plains-9-17-15.png

...except for the curvature of the horizon and the layering of the atmosphere of Pluto. The "ocean" and glaciers involves "soft and exotic ices, including nitrogen, rather than water ice" according to spaceweather.com.

This is actually a pretty nice landscape image. Another wider view of the same can be found here:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html?id=370514

We have come along way when images like these can be captured in almost complete darkness while zipping past an object at the edge of the solar system.
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: At the edge of the solar system...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:37:02 »
A really exotic fascinating landscape shot. When I see it I ask myself: Do I really want to go there?

SpaceX, the company of Paypal and Thesla founder Elon Musk, is really earnestly working to colonize Mars.

I read through the long text in which Musk describes how we can settle on Mars & why and which other space objects we could possibly colonize.

I do not buy it.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:04 »
Had the offer to join a one-way trip to Mars arrived 40 years earlier, I certainly would have applied myself.

At present, I only need to blame the lack of wi-fi and 'net support - how is one to run NG from there?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:11 »
Dreaming is not forbidden, traveling in your imagination neither.

The blog who met Elon and wrote 192 A4 pages on his ideas of space colonisation: http://waitbutwhy.com/
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:24:47 »
I wouldnt think twice if offered a trip.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 14:12:21 »
A truly impressive image that strongly reminds me that you have to "be there" to capture the decisive moment.

Thanks for sharing.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 17:32:59 »
Truly fascinating... :-) When much younger I would have dreamed to get into space. Now that I'm much older and broken everywhere, I appreciate much simpler and mundane views, but still fascinated by deep range underwater world or space... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 19:54:15 »
A really exotic fascinating landscape shot. When I see it I ask myself: Do I really want to go there?

SpaceX, the company of Paypal and Thesla founder Elon Musk, is really earnestly working to colonize Mars.

I read through the long text in which Musk describes how we can settle on Mars & why and which other space objects we could possibly colonize.

I do not buy it.
I don't buy that it will happen.  I have a creepy feeling that the advocates of such projects have given up on the Earth's future as a livable place, and assume that such horrors are coming to us in the next couple of hundred years that they actually see colonizing Mars as their personal escape plan.
On a lighter note, I wonder what the incident illumination is on Pluto:  1 lux, maybe?
EDIT:  Apparently, depending on the highly varying orbital distance of Pluto, it'd be around 8 footcandles, which is about 86 lux. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 19:56:44 »
We might need the 1024 K = 1 M ISO setting on a new camera after all ?? :D

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 20:09:34 »
Bjørn, your Df and Noct would be perfect.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 06:04:01 »
Bjørn, your Df and Noct would be perfect.

Technology can be awe inspiring.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.