Author Topic: Thermal Pool, Grasses, Cyanobacteria, Light, Reflections...  (Read 2314 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Thermal Pool, Grasses, Cyanobacteria, Light, Reflections...
« on: September 17, 2015, 21:12:51 »
...and some orange stuff.

Yellowstone National Park, Upper Geyser Basin, Wyoming, USA
01 September 2015

Df + 24-70/2.8G AFS :: f/9 for 1/400" @ ISO-400

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Thermal Pool, Grasses, Cyanobacteria, Light, Reflections...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 00:27:56 »
Andrea. You got your own way of seeing things, showing things. Throw them at us. We keep them in our hearts.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 04:13:00 »
Spectacular color, and an interesting match between the grasses and the Cyanobacteria, Andrea.

I like it.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:13:44 »
Like this enigma.  I wonder why the surface of the pool on the right corner looks so grainy.  Are these cyanobacteria?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 15:45:11 »
Thank you everyone for stopping by and commenting!!

There was strong, slanting, late, golden afternoon light so that played out well in the scene - especially in the grasses. Wyoming had very pretty blue skies during my visit to Yellowstone, so many of these thermal pools were reflecting additional blue from the sky. Some of the bacteria adapted to thermal living also produce (partly) the orange layers as well as blue colours.

Akira, that graininess may be an editing artifact. It could also be sediment. I'm not entirely sure. This particular pool was very dark, so I did raise the light just a bit because it appeared as though there were some object in the water.

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 16:58:15 »
Lovely. The complementary colors are gorgeous.

My eye wants to crop about one quarter or one third off the top but then again, I'm not sure that would make the image better.

Very nice.

EDIT: I tried the crop I suggested by covering the top of the image with a piece of paper and didn't like the result. It is better as it is.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 17:27:45 »
EDIT: I tried the crop I suggested by covering the top of the image with a piece of paper and didn't like the result. It is better as it is.

I fully agree, the square format is just perfect with very nice subdued colors... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 18:44:03 »
Akira, that graininess may be an editing artifact. It could also be sediment. I'm not entirely sure. This particular pool was very dark, so I did raise the light just a bit because it appeared as though there were some object in the water.

Andrea, considering that the camera is Df, and you raised the light "just a bit", the grain doesn't seem to be "only" noise.  Anyway, thanks for the details and your thoughts.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 19:44:31 »
The small pool containing the perfect mirror-like reflection is highly eye-catching amongst what Brett Weston might call the 'magnificent gorp' and 'beautiful crud'.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 06:08:50 »
Your eye and your processing has captured an image that most of photgs wished we could have seen and processed.  Thank you for sharing another lesson.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 18:56:23 »
Excuse me folks for bumping my old thread back up, but I did want to thank Kieth and Gary for their comments.

Gary, I think sometimes a photograph simply makes itself. We should prolly thank 'nature' for this one. I was just lucky enough to be there at the right time to catch that  light and those reflections.  ;)