Author Topic: How to Dampen Vibrations  (Read 8891 times)

Shane

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • BeyondVisible
Re: How to Dampen Vibrations
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 18:04:16 »
Well, as mentioned, the vibration issue I am look for a solution to is not related to camera and lens, but to vibrations in the floor itself.

When they moved the research lab that I worked in from the ground floor to the second floor , we ran into an almost incurable vibration issue especially for photomicrography. After trying several methods we basically ended up with a sandwich of a 80lb granite block and insulating pads for the microscopes, and the table legs were also on individual insulating pads. Even then, there were still times when this was insufficient.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 18:19:44 »
Les,

In a sandwich, is it better to vary densities accross layers or will it not be significally different from a repeat of layers? In other words, would steel/bubblewrap/steel/bubblewrap/steel be equivalent to steel/rubber/lead/bubblewrap/aluminium?

I am sorry, I have been careless.  The issue is actually impedance matching.  Impedance is the medium's density (ie, mass/volume) x speed of sound in the medium.  The speed of sound in a material is the square root of (stiffness divided by density).  Broadly, denser materials are stiffer (steel is denser and stiffer than wood, eg), but relatively dense but very un-stiff materials, such as rubber, or sorbothane, can have much lower impedance than somewhat denser materials that are much stiffer.     

The principle, however, is the same for electricity and sound, eg: where you want to minimise interface losses, as with power transmission or telephone lines, you match impedances on either side of a junction.  Another example of matching is when you have an ultrasound examination and they put jelly on your skin: the jelly has impedance similar to tissue, so it eliminates what would otherwise be a severe mismatch at the probe/air and air/skin interfaces.   And you have those little bones in your ear to impedance match the eardrum to the fluid-filled inner ear, because if there were two air-tissue interfaces you would hear poorly.   

To maximise losses you want the biggest possible difference between impedances, and you want as many interfaces as possible.  Because air is so light its impedance is very low, so a lot of air to something else interfaces is good. 

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 09:45:57 »
Shaky Floors

The worst problem I’ve encountered is the fact that the floor of the room is not well-enough supported, with the result that the floor vibrates enough to cause stemmed flowers (and even whole vases) to shake, even when I am standing still. The vibration in my own body, the tension, is enough to ever-so-slightly move the plant or flower, making very exact photos difficult.

I have found ways of lessening this vibration, but the saving grace is that the walls and verticals do not shake, so I devised a way to hang wide (22-inch) shelf brackets upon which to place plants, flowers, vases, and so on. This works well. The shelf is easily movable (up and down) and can support up to 300 pounds, they tell me. (PHOTO E)

As for the tripod, which does sit on the floor, I have tried out different vibration buffers under the tips of the three tripod legs. I have tried the Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads and Sorbothane Vibration Isolation Square Pad (1/2” thick). Of the two, its seems that the Sorbothane pads work better

More small-studio ideas in this companion post:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1674.0.html
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com